The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

It would be in the house with a give or take a few °s of 68°
Then they would work. Thats what I did this fall / winter. We have no heater but space heaters and I brooded the Halloween hatch and Thanksgiving Hatch in the house with the plates. No problems at all.

House stayed in the 65 to 68 range when we where in the 30s and 40s.

Two chicks just didn't thrive even though I tried a few things to perk them up. Also I think a hawk got to my adult bird.

To compensate for my grief I'll incubate all my serama eggs.
Ugh, I hate headhunters.
I've had occasional problems with owls. I think I still have a pic somewhere. I had a great horned owl get in a pen and kill one but then couldn't find its way back out.
Up close those things seem bigger then they are and angry. I had it cornered trying to push it in a cage with a broom. It was not happy and the wingspan made it a pita.

Ugh, I hate headhunters.
I've had occasional problems with owls. I think I still have a pic somewhere. I had a great horned owl get in a pen and kill one but then couldn't find its way back out.
Up close those things seem bigger then they are and angry. I had it cornered trying to push it in a cage with a broom. It was not happy and the wingspan made it a pita.
A long time ago I had a dog catch one and play toss with it by flinging it in the air by it's wing and catching it again. He was only able to catch it because it was a young adult that got too damp in the misty fog we had that morning and couldn't take off. The feet are much worse than the beak when trying to catch them. We got it to our vet and it only had a puncture in the wing mucel and bruseing. Texas parks and wildlife came and picked it up. They are very rare in our area, even at that time (1995/96).

A long time ago I had a dog catch one and play toss with it by flinging it in the air by it's wing and catching it again. He was only able to catch it because it was a young adult that got too damp in the misty fog we had that morning and couldn't take off. The feet are much worse than the beak when trying to catch them. We got it to our vet and it only had a puncture in the wing mucel and bruseing. Texas parks and wildlife came and picked it up. They are very rare in our area, even at that time (1995/96).
Ya those talons are wicked fierce looking but it was making a weird clicking noise with its beak.
Spooky, I'm pretty certain it was actually one of these....
main-qimg-23babaf2a0969444afb375c4c5d65fb2.gif

Back
Top Bottom