The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I'll get to what I'm making later. Or more like I'll get someone else to figure it out.
Spoiler though. This project is gonna blow up and spiderweb.
So you are crossing F1s then. Hmmm, interesting.
I'm assuming the 55's would be the male side of the cross then, to pass barring to both sexes of offspring?

Last edited:
Start at post 420.
Okay was eating dinner, time to read!

Who wants to go on a project ride along? Or genetics play along?
I've got a few 55 flowery leghorns but no 55 rooster so I've decided to use a couple for a project.
I'll be setting up a breeding pen in a week or so. So here's what I'll have.
55 flowery leghorn hens
View attachment 1785578
And a silver leghorn rooster
View attachment 1785581
This should be an interesting project and in a few generations have some good results.
I won't give away too much yet but if you're new to genetics or interested to see how some projects work follow along or even play along.
Ok. If you know genetics well or plan to use the calculator refrain from answering so we can get some less knowledgeable people involved and maybe excited.
If this stuff comes easy and you want to get involved in a bit faster speed feel free to pm me your thoughts and I'll add you to the post just so others know you're ahead of the game or have it all figured out.
First things first then. Who knows the genetics of these to varieties?
Hmm. The flowery hens are single barred, and mottled I think? (I don’t know the common names for the the patterns sorry). Would they be gold patterned or golden?

Silver duck wing is silver patterned black and that’s all I know for that lol.

Okay was eating dinner, time to read!

Hmm. The flowery hens are single barred, and mottled I think? (I don’t know the common names for the the patterns sorry). Would they be gold patterned or golden?

Silver duck wing is silver patterned black and that’s all I know for that lol.
Ya I had to look back at my pic and it sure doesn't show well but yes they have the mottled gene.
They're gold.
So we have sex linked silver, wild type (duckwing) for the male
Sex llinked gold, wild type (duckwing, sex linked barring, mottling for the hens.

So you are crossing F1s then. Hmmm, interesting.
I'm assuming the 55's would be the male side of the cross then, to pass barring to both offspring?
Well I don't have a male 55. If I did and went that direction all chicks would be barred and also sex links.
But.... I usually don't worry about making sure the hens get barring because if you get barring on the cockerel offspring it is easy getting barring on the girls in the next generation.
As for this project I actually wanted barring on the hens only so I would not get barred female offspring.
Yes I plan to breed the F1s together.

Ya I had to look back at my pic and it sure doesn't show well but yes they have the mottled gene.
They're gold.
So we have sex linked silver, wild type (duckwing) for the male
Sex llinked gold, wild type (duckwing, sex linked barring, mottling for the hens.
So the F1s will be golden then for the males, and females should be silver correct?

So the F1s will be golden then for the males, and females should be silver correct?
Correct.
So wanna explain what "golden" is and why the males will be golden and females will be silver?
Also to add since both parents are duckwing all offspring will be duckwing. No chances for anything else with this cross.

Correct.
So wanna explain what "golden" is and why the males will be golden and females will be silver?
Also to add since both parents are duckwing all offspring will be duckwing. No chances for anything else with this cross.
Since the silver duckwing rooster is SS (silver) he’ll always pass on an silver gene, and it’ll go to every offspring male or female. The hens, since they are gold (wildtype), are s+ which is located on the Z chromosome. Roosters are ZZ, hens are ZW, so the pattern can only be passed onto the boy offspring from the hen.

So the F1 males are S/s+ which are goldens. The F1 females will only be S, and so they will be silver only.

Did that make sense? :oops:

Ok now we know what genes are in play on both parents so what will the offspring look like and what genes will they have?
Golden duckwing males, silver duckwing barred females.
Double sexlinkage, basically.
I made a triple sexlink on accident once, though.

Since the silver duckwing rooster is SS (silver) he’ll always pass on an silver gene, and it’ll go to every offspring male or female. The hens, since they are gold (wildtype), are s+ which is located on the Z chromosome. Roosters are ZZ, hens are ZW, so the pattern can only be passed onto the boy offspring from the hen.

So the F1 males are S/s+ which are goldens. The F1 females will only be S, and so they will be silver only.

Did that make sense? :oops:
Kinda.

Back
Top Bottom