The Moonshiner's Leghorns

So what you're saying is that mottling is recessive so they need two copies to be expressed?
So that would mean a copy from each parent but since these will only get one copy from the hen that the offspring will carry or be split for mottling but it will be sight unseen?
That sounds like its gonna be a pain in my @$$ later on.
This split business is confusing me.
This means they carry it but don't show it?

My battery is about dead be back in a bit.
Now we know what the F1s are and what genes will be in play so what will I get from crossing them.
I start with the easy one.
Both are wild type (duckwing) so all offspring will be duckwing.
Now for gold/silver, barring, and mottling.
Ok Kiki get us started.

My battery is about dead be back in a bit.
Now we know what the F1s are and what genes will be in play so what will I get from crossing them.
I start with the easy one.
Both are wild type (duckwing) so all offspring will be duckwing.
Now for gold/silver, barring, and mottling.
Ok Kiki get us started.
Only the girls will have a chance of being molted!!!!

F1s males and females carry one gene for mottling and one gene for non mottled.
So each side can pass a mottling gene or a non mottled gene.
So when crossed those F2 offspring will have a 25% chance at no mottling gene and be non mottled.
25% chance of receiving two mottling genes and be mottled.
50% chance of getting one mottled gene and one non mottled gene. Those will carry the gene but not show it just like the F1s did.
Make sense?

With the barring it is sex linked. So females only get one gene and it comes from the father and they only pass their gene to their sons.
Since the F1 females are not barred since their dad didn't have any barring genes. They will pass a non barred gene to all F2 offspring.
The F1 cockerels will all have one barred gene they received from their mother and one non barred gene from their father. That means its a 50/50 chance on which gene they will pass. Their F2 daughters will either get a barred gene and be barred or they will get a non barred gene and not be barred.
The F2 male offspring also have the same 50/50 chance so with no barring from their mother about half will also not get one from their father and will not be barred. The other ones will get one barred gene from father and be single factor barred. Just like their father the F1s.

Back
Top Bottom