The Moonshiner's Leghorns

These used to be a steady, predominantly Leghorn line, as even California Whites are a Leghorn cross. I hatched every chick from that hen I could, and then bred some of the offspring to a brown Leghorn rooster and from there to each other. I had wanted to try to bring them to the Leghorn standard and keep the blue/buff combo colors, because I had lemon blue, blue wheaton, blue tailed buff, etc. I didn't make much progress, but was able to at least keep the line going, and they were great homestead birds. But life kept knocking me down and now I think the project is done :(

I love your setup!
So single combed parents threw a rose combed offspring? That doesn’t seem possible. Maybe the hen was mated prior to being sold.:confused:
That couldn't have happened because they were quarantined for a month before I put the male in so even if they were with another male they should have cleaned out. One of the females lays a cream colored egg so I'm sure she has something else in her.
These are my Leghorns.
IMG_20200421_154141.jpg

These are the chicks from the females I bought with some RIR and Dark Brown Leghorns. I think only one of the females I bought is a mix. The chicks from the other two are ok.
IMG_20200427_113747.jpg

Here are two eggs from the females I bought. One is white and the other is cream color.
IMG_20200525_114827.jpg

Anyone here use waterer nipples or cups?
Probably be at least a few more days before I start setting things up but I've stock piled most of my parts now.
Ive got 12 water cups and 20 horizontal nipples.
12 of the pvc Ts that are threaded for them and another 20 on the way.
Got tired of trying to figure how much pipe and how many of what fittings so just picked up 13 10' pieces of pipe and a hand full of about every fitting I thought I might need.
Gonna have to attach some pieces in various places so gonna grab some zip ties with the hole on the end I can put a screw through.
Anyways should have enough to get started soon.

Here's some chicks from my hatch. Not a very good pic buy nothing super exciting in there or at least nothing that I haven't already hatched some of.
Some buffs, couple from a project with 55s and some lavender and lavender splits from another project.
20200608_171130(1).jpg

Should be more excited but I had one incubator in a place I was a bit worried about so a week ago I moved it to my daughter's room since she's not home for a couple weeks. Had it on the floor and d@mn cat knocked a large vase off the shelf and it busted a large chuck of styrofoam out of the top and side so it was been running for a day or so not holding the heat. Also busted at least a dozen eggs and two trays from the turner. Not good.

Anyone here use waterer nipples or cups?
Probably be at least a few more days before I start setting things up but I've stock piled most of my parts now.
Ive got 12 water cups and 20 horizontal nipples.
12 of the pvc Ts that are threaded for them and another 20 on the way.
Got tired of trying to figure how much pipe and how many of what fittings so just picked up 13 10' pieces of pipe and a hand full of about every fitting I thought I might need.
Gonna have to attach some pieces in various places so gonna grab some zip ties with the hole on the end I can put a screw through.
Anyways should have enough to get started soon.
I traded out my cups for all horizontal nipples, it was too annoying in winter with all the freezing. But I'm a ways north, you may not have as much problem with this where you are.

We get pretty cold here. Probably the only difference is maybe as cold but not for as many concecative days.
My issue is my set up will be for multiple pens so a lot of pipeline from pen to pen. I know there's no way of keeping that all thawed.
Hard enough keeping water lines in the house going during some stretches.

We get pretty cold here. Probably the only difference is maybe as cold but not for as many concecative days.
My issue is my set up will be for multiple pens so a lot of pipeline from pen to pen. I know there's no way of keeping that all thawed.
Hard enough keeping water lines in the house going during some stretches.
I guess just have different types in any one area. But then, if your chickens are anything like mine they'll all want to use the same water cup and cry like they're dying when it stops working, even though there are plenty of other spots to drink from

Back
Top Bottom