The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I also want lavender silver duckwing and have been working probably three years on those.

That sounds familiar. I remember us talking about the length of time it took to produce the chick and a horse breeder commenting how impatient chicken people could be since it takes much more than six months for a horse to be reproductively mature. I went back through pages 40-100 or so on this thread and didn't see that exact conversation but I did see a Lavender Silver-duckwing chick that teased my memory.

Oh and by the way @ColtHandorf where's YOUR Orpington thread? I don't think ive seen one yet.
Get on it. You have some awesome birds and we don't get to see them enough.

Alright. lol I'll see what I can do. I do post a lot in the Imported Orpington thread, but it would be nice to have an online chronicle of the breeding efforts and it's so handy for looking up dates when you forget to write something down. It may be the weekend before I get any good pictures of them. We all like pictures, so it'll be nice to have some good ones to ID everyone by also. Which I suppose means I need to move some birds too. lol

That sounds familiar. I remember us talking about the length of time it took to produce the chick and a horse breeder commenting how impatient chicken people could be since it takes much more than six months for a horse to be reproductively mature. I went back through pages 40-100 or so on this thread and didn't see that exact conversation but I did see a Lavender Silver-duckwing chick that teased my memory.

Alright. lol I'll see what I can do. I do post a lot in the Imported Orpington thread, but it would be nice to have an online chronicle of the breeding efforts and it's so handy for looking up dates when you forget to write something down. It may be the weekend before I get any good pictures of them. We all like pictures, so it'll be nice to have some good ones to ID everyone by also. Which I suppose means I need to move some birds too. lol
:celebrate

Now you're getting the idea. I figure one day my memory is gonna start failing and my thread with be helpful for myself in a few ways.
I know you post pics but I don't want to keep up with a whole thread of others to admire your birds.
I just caught a glimpse of your whites the other day so I know I'm missing out on many probably.

Can I ask a quick genetics question? It's nothing to do with Leghorns, sorry, but I just wanted to ask real quick.
I'd like to breed two of my birds: Zapraska, the rooster, and Poppy, the hen:
DSC_7599.JPG DSC_7606.JPG
Poppy is a Sapphire Gem (I think so, at least), and Zapraska is a Brown OEGB.
Does anyone have any idea what their offspring would look like, out of curiosity?What color the chicks would be? I guess that I'll know if they both survive 'til spring and I have time to breed them, but just out of curiosity....
Sorry to cut in like that.

Can I ask a quick genetics question? It's nothing to do with Leghorns, sorry, but I just wanted to ask real quick.
View attachment 2439899View attachment 2439900
Does anyone have any idea what their offspring would look like, out of curiosity?What color the chicks would be? I guess that I'll know if they both survive 'til spring and I have time to breed them, but just out of curiosity....
Sapphire gems are a hybrid, and I've learned with my Calico Princess that hybrids have potluck genes

Send us the link if you start one.

Promise to keep my mouth shut - for a little while at least.

View attachment 2439899View attachment 2439900
I believe that sapphire gems carry dominant blue. Also, Zapraska's color is known as black breasted red. You should get some solid black, and some solid blue offspring. The boys will have red or gold leakage I think, and girls solid blue or solid black. I hope this helps!

I believe that sapphire gems carry dominant blue. Also, Zapraska's color is known as black breasted red. You should get some solid black, and some solid blue offspring. The boys will have red or gold leakage I think, and girls solid blue or solid black. I hope this helps!
Thank you very much, Baby Duck!

Back
Top Bottom