The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Lol. Ya, I have no idea why I'm not a reality show by now. I'm way more entertaining then the Tiger King.

I suddenly had an image of you smoking a cigarette while pouring gasoline into a can in a building full of gas cans. lol :lau

Yes in a perfect world. When I started it was far from a perfect world. Every bird I got had it. I sourced some eggs from another breeder and they all had it. That was within the first couple years they were out.
The key for me was breeding to browns to make splits. I bred back to browns and splits a lot longer then most others did and still do now as much or more then I breed Isabellas to Isabellas.

That's the way to do it. Most people don't want to, because producing splits aren't as profitable. They'd rather produce horrible-quality birds that are the correct color if nothing else. *waves with a frustrated, flapping hand towards American Lavender Orpingtons* I'm glad producing splits resulted in nice looking birds. I have no intention of breeding Lavender x Lavender in any of the varieties of Orps I have for that same reason for more than a generation or two.

Nope I won't be working with a laced pattern.

I told y'all he doesn't like lacing...

I suddenly had an image of you smoking a cigarette while pouring gasoline into a can in a building full of gas cans. lol :lau

That's the way to do it. Most people don't want to, because producing splits aren't as profitable. They'd rather produce horrible-quality birds that are the correct color if nothing else. *waves with a frustrated, flapping hand towards American Lavender Orpingtons* I'm glad producing splits resulted in nice looking birds. I have no intention of breeding Lavender x Lavender in any of the varieties of Orps I have for that same reason for more than a generation or two.

I told y'all he doesn't like lacing...
I'm planning to try splits. Leghorns are a hit or a miss here anyhow so I don't think it would be any more profitable to do crappy rare colored birds than nice normal looking ones.

And I meant like a spangling. I didn't know chamois came in lacing until it was commented. I've only seen it in spitzhauben and told the "formula"

Quick question—Is there a standardbred Leghorn thread on BYC? I can't find one! I got some amazing advice from my mentor on how to select my best brown cock for this year and I wanted to share it, and also start compiling the other stuff I've learned from folks like Don Schrider and Dan Honour. (Honor? Can't remember.)

Back
Top Bottom