The Moonshiner's Leghorns

That's the way to do it. Most people don't want to, because producing splits aren't as profitable. They'd rather produce horrible-quality birds that are the correct color if nothing else. *waves with a frustrated, flapping hand towards American Lavender Orpingtons* I'm glad producing splits resulted in nice looking birds. I have no intention of breeding Lavender x Lavender in any of the varieties of Orps I have for that same reason for more than a generation or two.

I disagree that perpetually breeding back for splits is the way to do it! It's just a bandaid! Of course, breeding lav to lav without working hard to break the fray link is just as bad. I've been appalled at the way the Orpington folk are approaching fray, honestly. Top breeders, highly respected, seem to have no interest in actually breeding the gene out and improving feather quality... they just bandaid it by breeding back to black.

I keep hearing that Self Blue LF OE Games exist, but I've never seen one. I wonder if they carry fray? I know John Blehm created LF Lav Ameraucanas from his bantam line, and he pulled the lav gene for those from D'Anvers, so we know fray is alive and well there. I've seen fray in self blue bantam OE games, but I've also seen birds that seem to have excellent feather quality—as good as any brown or black, even. I am seriously contemplating switching to pursuing the bantam Isabella leghorn route first. It would be much more affordable to breed out the gene with bantams, after all, since they're so much cheaper to feed and grow out. I got shot down HARD by Schrider and Co when I asked about breeding up to LF from bantam stock, but maybe Blehm could shoot me some pointers, LOL.

Last edited:
Quick question. So breed doesn't matter right? Someone could do the same with bantam cochins correct?
Absolutely not.
Won't work with bantam cochin. You'll need to pick a different breed. Any different breed.

Quick question. So breed doesn't matter right? Someone could do the same with bantam cochins correct?

Correct. Cochins, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, and now (I guess) Wyandottes, or any breed that has lavender. Cream and Chocolate are other dilutes where you get "splits".

ETA: I was assuming you meant in breeding purebred cochins, please don't breed a cochin to a leghorn. :lau

What’s the difference between the ones here? Cause California White is a Leghorn cross too right? And is the “white only” leghorn just an excuse to charge more for a more “pure” bird orrrr ????

https://www.idealpoultry.com/products/44

The California Whites and the Ideal 236 are hybrid crosses between lines. Don't get those. I think you want the "white only" if your plan is to breed as the other would have a percentage of chicks with black spots because they're dominant white... I don't mess with white birds personally though. I'm not up to snuff on the whole dominant/recessive white thing, haven't needed to be since I found out White doesn't play well with other colors and patterns. I haven't found white leghorns to be useful in any projects.

Personally though, after seeing the differences between hatchery and standardbred browns and whites, I would go to GREAT lengths to find birds from a breeder, but I do have a preference for a larger dual-purpose leghorn over the flighty, pinched little things from hatcheries.

What’s the difference between the ones here? Cause California White is a Leghorn cross too right? And is the “white only” leghorn just an excuse to charge more for a more “pure” bird orrrr ????

https://www.idealpoultry.com/products/44

The “white leghorns” appear to be crosses, seeing as one of the chicks has black spots.

Back
Top Bottom