The Moonshiner's Leghorns

@The Moonshiner how did those Exchequer Leghorns turn out?
I'm holding judgment till spring. I know there's some with shank color issues. Few look way to pale and few have white.
Waiting for adult pattern. They do seem to be getting more toward the proper pattern. Combs are small but they're not POL yet so there's hope. Still not old enough to know exactly how close to type they'll be. Not expecting.stellar there.

So what have you learned as the best approach to breeding it out?

Breed enough 2nd+ generation pure lavender birds to find the 1-in-100 (according to Dan Honour) male without fray or wingpatch, and test mate him to his daughters until you find a mating that produces 100% fray/wing patch free males.

It's gonna cost a damn fortune.

(Every time I think about this part of it, I start considering bantams again.)

Moonshiner, were there any colors you got that when they grew up you thought they were just the ugliest pattern you'd seen?
I don't know if I can relate any leghorn with ugly. But as patterns go there's been a few on different levels.
The first thing I created with leghorns was Pyle. This was the very first male...
1006821-0c784c888863b2454cce437d126e033e.jpg

He was a mess. I had a couple decent females and bred a couple generations actually getting some good birds with good patterns. One day I took a look at them I thought d@mn I really just don't like this pattern much at all. I traded them off.
Over the years there's been I few I quit on. Barred lavender was a good one. It was a good idea but in the end it was hard to see the barring on the light color of lavender. You could get 10 foot away and not tell it was barred.
Not ugly but just not what I had hoped.
Mixed patterns can be ugly. i've had lots of solid or barred males with leakage that weren't pretty.
Not long ago I posted one. I'll find the pic or find him and take new pics.
Also need to take a pic of a rooster ive had a few years now. He's pretty ugly but I knew he was beautiful inside. Or at least I knew he carried genes to produce some beautiful birds. I have some offspring from him I'll get pics of too.
True pure patterns, not really that was like you described just one or two I didn't care for and a few that weren't quite what I'd hoped for.

I don't know if I can relate any leghorn with ugly. But as patterns go there's been a few on different levels.
The first thing I created with leghorns was Pyle. This was the very first male...
View attachment 2490018
He was a mess. I had a couple decent females and bred a couple generations actually getting some good birds with good patterns. One day I took a look at them I thought d@mn I really just don't like this pattern much at all. I traded them off.
Over the years there's been I few I quit on. Barred lavender was a good one. It was a good idea but in the end it was hard to see the barring on the light color of lavender. You could get 10 foot away and not tell it was barred.
Not ugly but just not what I had hoped.
Mixed patterns can be ugly. i've had lots of solid or barred males with leakage that weren't pretty.
Not long ago I posted one. I'll find the pic or find him and take new pics.
Also need to take a pic of a rooster ive had a few years now. He's pretty ugly but I knew he was beautiful inside. Or at least I knew he carried genes to produce some beautiful birds. I have some offspring from him I'll get pics of too.
True pure patterns, not really that was like you described just one or two I didn't care for and a few that weren't quite what I'd hoped for.
I can see the pyle not being a favorite coloring. I think it works on some birds more than others.

Breed enough 2nd+ generation pure lavender birds to find the 1-in-100 (according to Dan Honour) male without fray or wingpatch, and test mate him to his daughters until you find a mating that produces 100% fray/wing patch free males.

It's gonna cost a damn fortune.

(Every time I think about this part of it, I start considering bantams again.)
That route makes me cringe honestly.

Back
Top Bottom