The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I started with Isabella that had it. I believe it was four generations when I got over.the hump.
It all depends on how hard you work at it, how many breeders you use and amount of chicks you hatch. Luck also plays a part. In my theory it could be eliminated in 2 generations of breeding.

Thanks, I'm glad to know its not a 10 year plan! Its starting to seem like an obtainable goal. The only problem I see is Luck, I don't seem to have much of that :p

The next issue I'm facing is my Isabellas are also mottled and I would like to keep that going as well. Of the 25% lavs produced from crossing splits, would only 25 % of those will be mottled also? If so, is the only option is to hatch more?

Breed Isabella to browns producing splits. Then breed splits together. Keep lavender offspring and repeat.

This doesn't fix the problem, that's the bandaid solution and it's why every lf lavender breed we have continues to have this serious defect. I'd like to put in the work now so that I don't have to breed splits every other generation.

Trust though, it makes me cringe too, but apparently for different reasons.

I started with Isabella that had it. I believe it was four generations when I got over.the hump.
It all depends on how hard you work at it, how many breeders you use and amount of chicks you hatch. Luck also plays a part. In my theory it could be eliminated in 2 generations of breeding.

So you have a pure lavender line that you never have to cross back to browns now? I'm confused.

Thanks, I'm glad to know its not a 10 year plan! Its starting to seem like an obtainable goal. The only problem I see is Luck, I don't seem to have much of that :p

The next issue I'm facing is my Isabellas are also mottled and I would like to keep that going as well. Of the 25% lavs produced from crossing splits, would only 25 % of those will be mottled also? If so, is the only option is to hatch more?
Lol. Yes luck is always involved and I'm like you. It never seems to be on my side.
Yes your splits will produce 25% that are lavender and 25% that are mottled. The luck will be how many get both. If it was me I'd keep any that are mottled but not lavender. Later breeding them with lavenders will increase the mottled side.

So you have a pure lavender line that you never have to cross back to browns now? I'm confused.
I have isabella, lavender silver duckwing and solid lavender. I'm not concentrating on breeding them purely to themselves to see.
Ive bred them together. To each other and to non lavender birds. What I'm saying js ive not saw an issue bird in 3 years so its not a concern for me or on my radar at this time.

This doesn't fix the problem, that's the bandaid solution and it's why every lf lavender breed we have continues to have this serious defect. I'd like to put in the work now so that I don't have to breed splits every other generation.

Trust though, it makes me cringe too, but apparently for different reasons.
It is your belief and whoever else has told you tbats belief. Not mine. I have been there done that. The issue is caused by a gene. Understand the gene and understand how it breeds and its no different then dealing with any other gene.
We've disagreed over this gene several times. It is what it is. Just different opinions.
I understand you have mentors and highly thought of ones in their circles. Ive also been there done that. I don't take anyone's word as gold at this point in my life and would expect no one to take mine that way either.
They're just ideas and opinions. One needs to seek information as they see fit and learn. Use gained knowledge to think for themselves. To try to understand the "why" and experiment or bred to further their understanding for themselves.

I have isabella, lavender silver duckwing and solid lavender. I'm not concentrating on breeding them purely to themselves to see.
Ive bred them together. To each other and to non lavender birds. What I'm saying js ive not saw an issue bird in 3 years so its not a concern for me or on my radar at this time.

Sounds like the approach I described would be a breeze for you, then.

Ya those egg issues are the norm for exchequer.
Lol how's 3 egg songs compare to 6 males noises?
I’d rather have 3 egg songs :lau we have 3 boys currently and I’m going to be butchering them all this weekend or at least two. The bantam might get spared because he’s cute. But they’re all soooooo damn loud!!!

Back
Top Bottom