The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Yeah sure. My main goals are literally the pheonix breed but a strain with silkies feathers and a strain with naked necks. Maybe one with feathered legs or frizzles feathers
Oh my gosh, those sound awesome! Do you plan on selling them once you've reached your goals?

So Then you get the color/pattern locked in and /then/ breed towards the weights and shape you want? Is that the same with other traits like silkied feathering and long feathering? Trying to figure out what my goal for next year should be for my pheonix projects I wanna do
It's best to work on both at the same time.
I use the best birds I have with the color pattern genes I need.
If you focus on just the trait you want and not type then when you get the trait locked in but the type is bad you'll have to go back to a bird with type and that sets you back on the trait.
It's a balancing act.
You can't let go of one for the other unless you're prepared to take a step backwards.
Sometimes you just have to though.
I've scrapped whole projects because the type wasn't there or there were too many faults.
The MF is a good example. I had MF patterned birds but they were to much of a mess to fix.
I used the best one I had and bred it to my best buff rooster. Now I'm fighting to get all the needed genes back in one bird.

It's best to work on both at the same time.
I use the best birds I have with the color pattern genes I need.
If you focus on just the trait you want and not type then when you get the trait locked in but the type is bad you'll have to go back to a bird with type and that sets you back on the trait.
It's a balancing act.
You can't let go of one for the other unless you're prepared to take a step backwards.
Sometimes you just have to though.
I've scrapped whole projects because the type wasn't there or there were too many faults.
The MF is a good example. I had MF patterned birds but they were to much of a mess to fix.
I used the best one I had and bred it to my best buff rooster. Now I'm fighting to get all the needed genes back in one bird.
Okay. The birds I plan to use are somewhat similar type (silkies are worse than the NNs though and have lots of extra things (the feathered legs, crests, black skin, ect.) So those will probably take way longer

Would the NN gene even be compatible with the tail gene pheonixes have? I know it would probably take a while to lock it in for both, but that would only work if the NN gene allowed the tail to grow long in the first place.

Forgot about black skinned ones, those were another possibility since I have mosaics and silkies

Frankly, idk.
I think it would look really weird though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's the goal 😆😅. I love the oddities of the poultry world. Probably why I love how huge some Leghorn combs are. I wish my girls had larger ones, but they haven't laid yet either so maybe that's why they're so small still

Back
Top Bottom