The Moonshiner's Leghorns

That’s because there’s nothing special about their wings. Duckwing hens are identified by their salmon breasts and brown bodies. No other color base has those two together.
Ok, I think I got it. So then silver duckwing or gold duckwing refers to the neck/cape colour mostly? Are there other duckwing colours?

And duckwing is somehow a throwback to wild aka game fowl, am I correct?

Ok, I think I got it. So then silver duckwing or gold duckwing refers to the neck/cape colour mostly? Are there other duckwing colours?

And duckwing is somehow a throwback to wild aka game fowl, am I correct?
Yes, in the males—if they don’t have any extra modifiers.
Duckwing is the wild type base, known as e+. If you add extra genes you can get all kinds of colors, for example, mille fluer or quail. But gold duckwing refers to the wild type color, red duckwing to Welsummers, silver duckwing to silver Leghorns etc etc as long as they have the same duckwing pattern most easily identified by the females.
Duckwing is the color of the wild red jungle fowl.
Duckwing is the color of some game fowl but the term game fowl refers to birds bred out of cockfighting stock, not wild red jungle fowl.

No chocolates.
I need a chocolate bird to do that.
Is this the second batch with a mystery brown chick?

Something funny's going on...

200-3.gif

Lol I changed my mind. I was wrong. I always thought that wheaten males had less black in their necks but I guess that comes down to selection.
4384AC11-CE65-4308-96B1-3B11180F2F7D.jpeg
E83ACA11-D241-4DA9-A25D-050919FD3B5D.jpeg
0B929C0F-F537-4195-A0DA-FA2157D758CC.jpeg

A quick google shows that I could not tell them apart with the exception of partridge because they are generally darker in the red areas (which may have to do with selection.)

Yes, in the males—if they don’t have any extra modifiers.
Duckwing is the wild type base, known as e+. If you add extra genes you can get all kinds of colors, for example, mille fluer or quail. But gold duckwing refers to the wild type color, red duckwing to Welsummers, silver duckwing to silver Leghorns etc etc as long as they have the same duckwing pattern most easily identified by the females.
Duckwing is the color of the wild red jungle fowl.
Duckwing is the color of some game fowl but the term game fowl refers to birds bred out of cockfighting stock, not wild red jungle fowl.
So duckwing = wild type gene = jungle fowl ancestory

And girls have one colour defining gene, while boys have two colour defining genes. (Probably using not quite the correct verbiage, but simplifying it here for myself)

So duckwing = wild type gene = jungle fowl ancestory

And girls have one colour defining gene, while boys have two colour defining genes. (Probably using not quite the correct verbiage, but simplifying it here for myself)
Correct, but all chickens have jungle fowl ancestry, duckwing is simply what is selected for, it doesn’t necessarily mean the bird has jungle fowl more recently in its ancestry.

Back
Top Bottom