The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Hey Moony, how difficult would it be to introduce rosecomb to a single or pea combed breed?
Like I can draw up what I'm hoping for if you'd like on my break since we all know using my words is rarely helpful, though you probably can already guess my two target breeds I wanna convert since I never shut up about them

If you would hatch large numbers and this is assuming you're using Leghorns, perhaps a hundred chicks hatched for two years, (the more chicks hatched the greater the selection.) I can see some decent color show up in F3. Combs would need one more year at minimum, but probably two years.
If you could find Leghorns with smallish combs you might be able to cut it down by one year. Even with doing what I just described it would be severely crunched timewise.
I just don't see anything good quality as a whole package in less than five years.
Moony might have a different opinion and if so, I yield my opinion to him.
That's kind of what I thought as well.
So you could get a mottled duckwing?
I'm sure you can, not sure it would look good.
20211127_133711.jpg
That's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I don't love it? Do you have any mature birds past their adult molt that are Mottled?
Oh my word. If this one isn't named, I can think of several appropriate members to be her namesake.
If there's one thing in this world that's going to get me back into leghorns, it's your birds
Just not that Black one, I hope.
A black hen with a couple blues.
View attachment 3424427
Do you find your Blues are mostly lighter like that? Or do you get dark Blues, too?
Oh that mottled does look familiar
Kind of like the juvenile patterns on some brown-ish birds that have mottled like Speckled Sussex and Jubilee Orpingtons.
Hey Moony, how difficult would it be to introduce rosecomb to a single or pea combed breed?
It's doable, but getting the single comb bred out takes a lot of work (see Wyandotte example). lol Do you work with rose-combed Leghorns at all, Moony? I know a few varieties exist.

That's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I don't love it? Do you have any mature birds past their adult molt that are Mottled?

Oh my word. If this one isn't named, I can think of several appropriate members to be her namesake.

Do you find your Blues are mostly lighter like that? Or do you get dark Blues, too?

Kind of like the juvenile patterns on some brown-ish birds that have mottled like Speckled Sussex and Jubilee Orpingtons.

It's doable, but getting the single comb bred out takes a lot of work (see Wyandotte example). lol Do you work with rose-combed Leghorns at all, Moony? I know a few varieties exist.

Not the black one in this state, no, but if she were feathered like the second picture then yes

Yeah, I'm more concerned with replacing the pea comb, but I figured id ask about single combe, because a rose comb pheonix would be quite the looker. But I am pretty good with rose vs single comb genetics as far as I'm aware, so it would be more just trying to maintain everything but the single comb I think, right?

The pea is confusing though because it acts funny with single and I'm not sure it would do the same with rose.

No I'm sorry, this is just not right. Even I find Dong Tao ugly, and I love aseel! You can't say that the Dong Tao isn't ugly, it's not possible. I can see a case being made about them being ugly beautiful, but you can't deny their ugliness. It's like saying a leghorn rooster with a floppy comb is better than one with a beautiful straight up one

I'm sorry, no. Floppy combs on roosters are ugly. Dong Tao are ugly (but in an interesting way) amd pea combs are just fine, more than fine, gorgeous actually
x2
Yeah, I'm more concerned with replacing the pea comb, but I figured id ask about single combe, because a rose comb pheonix would be quite the looker. But I am pretty good with rose vs single comb genetics as far as I'm aware, so it would be more just trying to maintain everything but the single comb I think, right?

The pea is confusing though because it acts funny with single and I'm not sure it would do the same with rose.
Peaxrose gives you cushion combs. Replacing the pea comb with rose would be slightly more difficult than replacing the singles, but not much harder. First you would have to breed out the pea combs. Then you would have to breed out single since pea combs are PPr+r+ having the pea and single comb genes and rose are p+p+RR having the single and rose comb genes.

x2

Peaxrose gives you cushion combs. Replacing the pea comb with rose would be slightly more difficult than replacing the singles, but not much harder. First you would have to breed out the pea combs. Then you would have to breed out single since pea combs are PPr+r+ having the pea and single comb genes and rose are p+p+RR having the single and rose comb genes.
Okay, so at least.... 4 generations?

Back
Top Bottom