The Moonshiner's Leghorns

The male’s neck has a harsh transition between orange and yellow with little striping and the female pattern is too harsh and dark. I also see hackle black and shafting leaking into the back feathers. Leghorn hens should have a fine, even, well-stippled light seal brown back color.
Also, Leghorns are known for long, well-spread tails with an distinctive even sweep from back to tail. Those ones have short pinched tails with the male’s newrly a squirrel tail (part of the pinching might be because they are crowded into the corner.) I don’t know the age of these birds, but comb and wattle development does not indicate the health and production Leghorns are known for with the females’ soft, floppy feminine combs and the males’ tall combs and well-developed wattles. Also the male’s comb blade follows the head.
I would probably have more things to hate on but I can’t really judge much of type when they are facing away from me but that should serve enough to go off of.

Totally unrelated but I think Kyle might be the town. 🤣 also, I wish I knew nearly as much as you and Moony and all the other experts!
lol you are right! Thought it was the owner
Is dark brown a thing?
Yep. Brown Leghorns (which were actually named after Mr. Brown of Connecticut, one of the original breeders, not the color, which makes sense because only the hens are brown and only partly) were originally double mated, meaning champion males and champion females didn't come out of the same pen. The standard for Brown males was very dark and the Brown standard for females was much lighter. Well, brown Leghorn breeders wanted to show their male breeder females and their female breeder males so the Brown color was separated into Light and Dark.
I learned this against my will due to Don Schrider's article in the Yearbook.

lol you are right! Thought it was the owner

Yep. Brown Leghorns (which were actually named after Mr. Brown of Connecticut, one of the original breeders, not the color, which makes sense because only the hens are brown and only partly) were originally double mated, meaning champion males and champion females didn't come out of the same pen. The standard for Brown males was very dark and the Brown standard for females was much lighter. Well, brown Leghorn breeders wanted to show their male breeder females and their female breeder males so the Brown color was separated into Light and Dark.
I learned this against my will due to Don Schrider's article in the Yearbook.
It makes sense! I would think that too but only figured it out since it was in the usual location section.

And huh, very interesting!!! Thank you!!! I’ve only ever seen light brown.

Back
Top Bottom