The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

So.... when can I expect a suspect rooster to get distinct saddle/sickle feathers or start crowing, or do SOMETHING that will tell me for sure that it is not a hen? Or do I just have to wait for it to not lay eggs.... he/she is 14 weeks old and making me crazy.

So.... when can I expect a suspect rooster to get distinct saddle/sickle feathers or start crowing, or do SOMETHING that will tell me for sure that it is not a hen? Or do I just have to wait for it to not lay eggs.... he/she is 14 weeks old and making me crazy.
any pics

aoxa- do you want to come here and help me out? You seem to get things accomplished much faster than we do!!! Congrats!
tongue2.gif

I wouldn't be doing this quickly, but I have the best contractor ever!
They start getting the pointy feathers at 12-13 weeks. Spread the feathers around the base of the tail and check for any skinny shiny feathers coming in.

We could help you more with pics though. Combs are enough to go by at this age (almost always).

....the danglefrabbing...
I can't believe the censors let that through! Although I agree with your concise assessment, I do have to say that is the worst swear word I have heard since Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Also, I have always wondered how to spell that, since I had only previously seen it typed as shift + numeral keys.

Siding is all finished :D
wee.gif
yesss.gif
celebrate.gif

Also one of the roosters attacked the contractor. They both look the same to a novice, but I suspect it's Randy. He will be taking a long walk to the freezer shortly.
That is so beautiful! I'm so happy is getting done. You've waited so long.
That is too cute. It's funny that chickens will roll eggs out that are no good but then go on to hatch another that is not their own kind.

Loanwizard - congrats on being published! You work so hard at helping others. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom