The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Thanks.... I know about both of the heat plates....

Just wanted to hear from someone that has used these
http://sweeterheater.com/

7830-9572.jpg

7830-6384.jpg

Used as a water heater:

7830-2787.jpg

dogs2.jpg

7830-7987.jpg
Those are interesting! I hope someone has used one and can report back to us. I keep debating on whether to buy one of the heat plates or not. Meanwhile, I keep using the red bulbs and double secure them.

Those are interesting! I hope someone has used one and can report back to us. I keep debating on whether to buy one of the heat plates or not. Meanwhile, I keep using the red bulbs and double secure them.
I responded before reading all the posts. Another product to debate whether to buy or not.
wink.png

In lo these two years that I have had day old babies I have used the cheapest set up ever, but took the expensive way to get there. I started out with a heat lamp, used a radiant heater, but my husband (who was not really on-board with My Chicken Thing when this started) would not abide these devices being left plugged in unattended. I wound up putting them in a tote bin next to the electric fireplace (which he DOES allow to run unattended). Both years so far nothing but happy, healthy, hardy birds.
I've used one of these. We call her Peter. She is our oldest cat. She did not appreciate being used.
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
Had to put it twice since they are both funny. :)

I wonder how well the Sweeter Heater works at keeping water from freezing..... It is worth getting if it can do that.

Lost my little stuck shut eyed chick. I thought he might be ok, since I've had it happen before and they were fine with a little extra care. But he stopped taking water this evening and was getting weaker. He was laying out from under the heat when I got home from class tonight and was cold. I put him in a container and under the heat, but he died shortly after. I'm sorry he died, but I'm glad it was now if he wasn't going to thrive. The other 14 seem to be doing great.

That's funny! I have so many birds, the 'native rock'population gets a bit depleted so I buy a 50 pound bag of granite chips about every six months at a whopping cost of about $5 bucks. Cheap assurance that everyone can grab a few if and when when they want them.
I do not free range since I lost so many to predators last year. then we had the 75 yr rains and I had to sand bag my coop and fill up the inside with about 1 1/2 ' of sand. so now they are pretty much limited to lots of sand. I have not had a problem, but wondering about grit. someone else mentioned rinsing these granite chips. Do you do that also? if so how much.

I do not free range since I lost so many to predators last year. then we had the 75 yr rains and I had to sand bag my coop and fill up the inside with about 1 1/2 ' of sand. so now they are pretty much limited to lots of sand. I have not had a problem, but wondering about grit. someone else mentioned rinsing these granite chips. Do you do that also? if so how much.
There is NO reason to rinse or wash the grit but the sand is not big enough to work as grit for chickens. Grit is cheap and an absolute 'must' to keep healthy birds in an enclosure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom