The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

No water? But there’s a river.....:lau

And permits are just pesky legal documents.....

Violating those pesky legal documents can close down a place.

There's always porta potties.
Set up a grill outside. Put a big kettle on a tripod over a fire... serve pork & beans or something...

Still have to wash hands, pots/pans, water to cook with, etc.

I know you guys are trying to be helpful, but unless or until the refinery that owns the golf course wants to keep it open year-round (and pay for a 12 month water permit), the place shuts down mid-October. Anyway, by the time hunting, football and school starts up in the fall, we get very few people out there.

Don't go away B! We're limited to being open by our water permit and that's only good for 6 months (mid-April through mid-Oct). Then the water pipes have to be blown out and things shut down...apparently when the course was built back in the 50's, the pipes weren't buried deep enough to prevent freezing. And of course, the health department would never allow food or drink to be prepared without running water so carrying over into the winter isn't possible.
But what if the pipes were buried deeper?

But what if the pipes were buried deeper?
Fun information:
Dh's uncle and aunt have a place in the city so they haven't been using much water on their farm. We didn't get much snow for insulation...so the frost went that deep into the ground and froze their underground pipes!!! Wow, who knew? That's a first for any of us. Those pipes won't be thawed out until June or July now. Usually, we get snow.:p

Fun information:
Dh's uncle and aunt have a place in the city so they haven't been using much water on their farm. We didn't get much snow for insulation...so the frost went that deep into the ground and froze their underground pipes!!! Wow, who knew? That's a first for any of us. Those pipes won't be thawed out until June or July now. Usually, we get snow.:p

Many, many years ago, my husband was working with a crew that were installing an irrigation system on a piece of property. The property's owner showed up, and started arguing with the crew boss - they felt that the 15" deep trenches weren't deep enough. When the puzzled installer asked, "why do you want the system so deep?" the owner said, "so the pipes won't freeze." As his crew of local boys just about fell over laughing, the landscaper somehow maintained a straight face and asked, "you're not from around here, are you?" (The ground NEVER freezes here - not more than maybe 2 inches deep at the most).

What a strange coincidence to check this thread just when buses are being discussed...lol.

There are several reasons buses aren't equipped with seat belts. The top reason we've been told is the ability to get students off in a crisis. Two is knowing it would be extremely difficult to enforce the students to wear the seat belts. Three is because the seats on a school bus are made to scoop the students down in the event of most crashes.

Four, from my own personal experience...I can't see some bus drivers checking the seat belts to make certain they are all usable 100% of the time. One of the last times I spared for someone, that person didn't have 7 of their seats fastened down. If a few students damage the belts....you know where I'm going with that.

I ran an extremely well-behaved bus with very well educated students. I made it a point to explain why the rules were there. My first school division ran drills and such for accidents for preparation. But this is certainly not the norm across the board.
This was a school van, so only carrying 7 students. A lot of kids drive themselves nowadays so not so many on buses anymore. We didn’t misbehave on the bus when I grew up or you’d get your hair or ear pulled(my brothers were in trouble all the time). I have not heard yet why she ran the yield...could have been medical...I hope it was Medical as I’m sure she is beside herself. I feel bad for all involved. Thankfully all the kids have survived so far.

An enforcer? Ooooh, now I'm curious...what's that? :pop

I can believe that they probably have quite the stories to tell. I've been a bus driver for 12 years now; fulltime, spare and for trips. OMG that makes me feel old. :th

I loved being a full-time driver, trips were only as good as the teacher/teachers in charge and I'm getting entirely too old and too crotchety to deal with the mediocrity of those I'm asked to spare drive for. :p
I got asked to be a bus driver one time and I laughed and said no way. Driving a regular vehicle is enough for me. I didn’t get my drivers license until I was 20 and I was ok with that. The way kids behave now I’d hate that responsibility.

FINALLY was able to upload! Just took a while lol

Also I had to make breakfast on the stove. I normally don't really eat eggs that much but I'm starting to more. But toasting the bagel on the stove was a new experience lol I did eventually put cream cheese on it btw. Blueberry bagels :love

Also the more interesting and abnormal one was when I had to heat up my lasagna on the stove lol

We bought a bunch of food last night including the lasagna and cooked it. Well, we were kind of dumb and only cooked the lasagna. I hope the frozen pizzas don't go bad.

Anyway, I am glad we at least cooked something last night because now we have food.

We just had TV dinners last night haha

View attachment 1295397 View attachment 1295398 View attachment 1295399 View attachment 1295401 View attachment 1295404 View attachment 1295406 View attachment 1295407 View attachment 1295408 View attachment 1295409 View attachment 1295410 View attachment 1295412 View attachment 1295413 View attachment 1295414 View attachment 1295415 View attachment 1295416 View attachment 1295417 View attachment 1295418 View attachment 1295419 View attachment 1295420 View attachment 1295421 View attachment 1295422 View attachment 1295426 View attachment 1295427 View attachment 1295428 View attachment 1295431 View attachment 1295432 View attachment 1295433
Looks like our last snow!

Back
Top Bottom