The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I notice that the squirrel in the @N F C video was obtained as a pup too young to fend for itself. Not quite the same as the adult the kid found. Not sure how he managed to catch it!

I have shiners and fathead minnows in the pond behind the barn. Those are about the only thing you can get, no catching things like bluegill and relocating them. The fish, I assume, ensure that the mosquito population stays very small since the only water that goes in the pond comes from melting snow and rain. Right, basically stagnant.
Morning Bruce! Have a great day!

What animals/pets do you have? Sorry if you've mentioned before and I've forgotten.
I'm taking care of the family dog who has super major separation anxiety from my parents, my 2 huskies, my cat, and the 3 foster kittens who need fed every 4-5 hours. On top of that I have work at night on weekends so I'm running home during my shift to make sure everyone is taking care of cause I work 7 hours a night

I'm taking care of the family dog who has super major separation anxiety from my parents, my 2 huskies, my cat, and the 3 foster kittens who need fed every 4-5 hours. On top of that I have work at night on weekends so I'm running home during my shift to make sure everyone is taking care of cause I work 7 hours a night

You do have your hands full! When do your parents get home?

Good morning everyone :frow Here’s a baby pic, we had three last night with a fourth pipped and I haven’t been outside yet to check on everyone. Take care and stay healthy!
View attachment 2828619
Those are some GORGEOUS ducklings. 🥰
So cute 💜 I just love love these pictures. Would you mind if I saved these?
You're welcome to save them. I don't mind. I have a few more:
Jacky 1.jpg Jacky 2.jpg 2 days old.jpg Earlybird 1.jpg

We have the two cows and calves in separate paddocks at the moment. Jacky's mother is a serious helicopter parent. Apparently some first time heifers can be like this.

She's not aggressive towards us but when we tried to put her in with Maisy and Earlybird, Jacky's mother wouldn't let Jacky anywhere near them (despite the fact that she'd really like to go and play) and she sticks to that calf like absolute glue, fretting over her constantly and she wouldn't let Earlybird or Maisy anywhere near Jacky either so it was stressing everyone out.

We set up and moved them to their own paddock where they can't see anyone else, and Milkshake (the mother) is still on high alert and still stuck to Jacky like glue. Jacky will race around playing and kicking, having fun, but Milkshake runs after her as if she's a toddler running out into traffic!

Compared to Maisy who wanders off to graze leaving Earlybird to sleep and just checking on her every so often, it's crazy the difference. Poor Jacky. We are really hoping her mother starts to calm down soon so that the two calves can play. But at least she isn't being aggressive towards us as an overprotective cow can be more dangerous than a bull.

The weather has been awful here with lots more rain (that we don't need) and we had terrible wind one night that tumbled our poor rabbit's hutch onto its roof. Thankfully Hoppy was absolutely fine (it's a miracle) and had the good sense to stay put and not escape through the doors that had come open in the chaos. The rabbit hutch was thankfully unharmed too (DH built it tough). It's really heavy so it must've been a serious gust to tumble it over twice!

Those are some GORGEOUS ducklings. 🥰

You're welcome to save them. I don't mind. I have a few more:
View attachment 2830471View attachment 2830472View attachment 2830473View attachment 2830474

We have the two cows and calves in separate paddocks at the moment. Jacky's mother is a serious helicopter parent. Apparently some first time heifers can be like this.

She's not aggressive towards us but when we tried to put her in with Maisy and Earlybird, Jacky's mother wouldn't let Jacky anywhere near them (despite the fact that she'd really like to go and play) and she sticks to that calf like absolute glue, fretting over her constantly and she wouldn't let Earlybird or Maisy anywhere near Jacky either so it was stressing everyone out.

We set up and moved them to their own paddock where they can't see anyone else, and Milkshake (the mother) is still on high alert and still stuck to Jacky like glue. Jacky will race around playing and kicking, having fun, but Milkshake runs after her as if she's a toddler running out into traffic!

Compared to Maisy who wanders off to graze leaving Earlybird to sleep and just checking on her every so often, it's crazy the difference. Poor Jacky. We are really hoping her mother starts to calm down soon so that the two calves can play. But at least she isn't being aggressive towards us as an overprotective cow can be more dangerous than a bull.

The weather has been awful here with lots more rain (that we don't need) and we had terrible wind one night that tumbled our poor rabbit's hutch onto its roof. Thankfully Hoppy was absolutely fine (it's a miracle) and had the good sense to stay put and not escape through the doors that had come open in the chaos. The rabbit hutch was thankfully unharmed too (DH built it tough). It's really heavy so it must've been a serious gust to tumble it over twice!

Hi Jae, glad your rabbit was ok and stayed put with the hutch. Hope you'll get some sunshine soon. It's interesting to read the differences in parenting styles with the 2 cows and their calves.

Back
Top Bottom