The Old Folks Home

to all my two peeps I picked up at the feed store one cream legbar pullet the other is a black copper marans took up late put them under one of my broody Silky crossed my fingers BF opens the coop every morning he said both greeted him then Dirt pulled them back under her skirt

Attachments

• marans and legbar pullet 001.jpg
    marans and legbar pullet 001.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 2
  • marans and legbar pullet 005.jpg
    marans and legbar pullet 005.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks @Beer can I may work up my courage and try it. She is eating, just not digesting anything and getting thinner and thinner. I can get the wad mushy but not break it up. No grass or hay given to them but she used to be my Miss Piggy hen, constantly gobbling down anything she could find. I used to blame her appetite for her stretched out lazy crop but I read where Marek's can do that.

Maybe I could try giving her 3ccs of olive oil for three days, massaging and see what happens. If I can get it to break up I could try vomiting her. I did that to her once early on when she first had crop problems and it seemed to help her.

They have a run mostly dirt that they scratch around in for grit and I'm constantly tossing cans full of small gravel in for them. She is the only one with this problem.
I had a rooster that had a bad crop. I had to give him these pills once a month or so:

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies...id=210&zenid=e8002ecb035821236b6c25bcf4acc4fe

They worked!

I'm almost over my 3rd round of pluirsy last wed. I coughed so hard I cracked a rib on my left side. I called dh at work told him to get me a couple ace bandage and some Robitussin. I've been on antibiotics for 9 days. Yesterday I was finally strong enough to cook supper.

Cap I pray you get a good report.

My seedlings we're doing great I had them outside in my little greenhouse till we got a frost last week. We had to bring them in. Now half of my tomatoes are laying over. Temps will start going back up tomorrow do they can be brought back outside. Hopefully they will straighten back up.
I broke 3 ribs sneezing once! Wrapping them is not a good idea because you can develop pneumonia.
Sorry about your plants , hope they recover.
I am nervously waiting on my report. And somehow i have poison ivy on my hand!

Betty had bout of impaction, symptoms starting about Tuesday last week. Initially I noticed she didn't come off the roost in the evening if I was late with the scratch. That was abnormal. Wednesday she was hanging around at the edge of the alley, not very active. I picked her up (usually not so easy) and noticed she was hiding a good size water balloon in her neck.

I researched and found out about sour crop. Read, watched videos, drained her (P-U). I could feel something in her crop, seemed sort of fibrous maybe about 2" across. I put her in the broody buster with water (it was above 32°F) and some coconut oil (because it was one of the suggestions and we have way too many bottles but don't use it much) to maybe help slide the stuff through. She dove right in, Yea! The next morning I bought some plain yogurt, gave her that and more coconut oil. She liked both. I massaged her crop to break up the mass and could feel what I guess were bits of hay stem. Surely not the "typical" impaction of long spring grass, we won't have that for another month plus.

OK, things going well, right? Next morning she wasn't interested in the "food" and I had to drain her again, not nearly as much as the first day though. Looking decidedly non perky again. And I realized the temp was dropping and I couldn't keep liquid water out there so I brought her in. She became an aquarium (dry !!) chicken.

Having seen a video of a vet pulling a mass of grass so huge I'm not sure how the bird lived long enough to have surgery and Betty's mass being WAY WAY smaller, I figured her lethargy was maybe due to something else so I put Duramycin in her water. Still not real interested in the coconut oil and yogurt that night though. The next day she was looking somewhat better and was eating some yogurt. I didn't give her solid food because I figured it would just get stuck in the mass. The next day she wasn't overly interested in the yogurt and didn't touch the coconut oil so I gave here some canned cat food. I also gave her cut up grapes, figured they would break down by themselves. Seems Betty loves canned cat food and grapes. I cut out the yogurt because she wasn't eating it. The next day I added small bits of cut up apple (known favorite) and banana. She loves all those things so much that she's hardly touching the chicken feed I put in for her 3 days ago. In fact I think she's holding out. I just gave her more cat food and she attacked it like I had given her nothing for a week even though the pellets are in a cat food can right next to the one with cat food.

I massaged her crop several times a day starting Thursday, pulling the mass apart each time through those days. It got smaller over time and seems to be totally gone as of maybe Tuesday. I'm not feeling anything like hay stem or other fibers. I gave her a little bit of BOSS around 11 AM today, she dove right into that of course. She's looking like her normal chicken self, preening and looking bored with her surroundings. I have to decide when to put her back out. It is supposed to go to maybe 40°F this afternoon with a low in the mid 20's so perhaps that won't be as much of a shock as going from 68°F to 15°F as we had a few days ago.

Certainly not HERE!, I can now see the top of the buried propane tank, just the cover. That means still close to 18" of snow on the ground there.

to all my two peeps I picked up at the feed store one cream legbar pullet the other is a black copper marans took up late put them under one of my broody Silky crossed my fingers BF opens the coop every morning he said both greeted him then Dirt pulled them back under her skirt
Interesting that the feed store is selling what is a somewhat rare breed.

Back
Top Bottom