The Old Folks Home

Bamadude you win!
lau.gif

Hey since you like all that weird meat should we call you when the dogs get a opossum, fox, squirrel or coon? We hate having to throw them in the pasture but we don't eat that stuff and my dogs won't eat anything dead till it is hard and stinky!
gig.gif

ChickenCanoe, my interpretation of the proposed ammendment is that it will permit corporate farms and ranches to cause whatever environmental damage they wish, as to require otherwise would infringe on their right to farm and ranch.

There is no way Monsanto, et. al, are getting behind anything that helps the little farmer/rancher.

Bamadude you win! :lau

Hey since you like all that weird meat should we call you when the dogs get a opossum, fox, squirrel or coon? We hate having to throw them in the pasture but we don't eat that stuff and my dogs won't eat anything dead till it is hard and stinky! :gig
no but thanks anyway. What type of dog do u have? I hear the smaller breeds are delicious

It really does give the wording. That's it. Short and sweet.
This is the complete ballot entry from the Secretary of State's website.

Amendment 1
Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?
The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.​
Fair Ballot Language:
A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.
A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.
If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.​

ETA
One of the commercials for the amendment passage has a bunch of people claiming to be farmers and how they produce good food for Missourians.

The commercial opposing a yes vote has another farmer who states that the amendment will allow large Chinese corporations unlimited access to farm in Missouri and the resultant pollution.

The wording is so vague, anything can be true and the entity with the most funds for lawyering up will get to do whatever they want.

The way things are worded you can think you are voting the way you want it to go and then someone explains it to you and you voted backwards. Don't you ever feel like you can't win for losing? I hate politics. All those politicians twist stuff to suit themselves and their profits. I told my husband politicians shouldn't get paid and he said they would take more bribes than ever if that happened. I do believe that most of them should have their pay cut in half or more. Why should they get rich just for being politicians? Or why should they get RICHER for being politicians?

Another thing I hate is that stuff gets added to the bills. That ought to be outlawed. If what they are adding to the bill is about the bill, yeah, that is ok but stuff that has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the bill should not be allowed.

Last edited:
California actually has a Tree Squirrel season: second Saturday in September extending through the last Sunday in January. The limit is four per day, with four in possession.

I once asked Mississippifarmboy if he would send some to me to try (before I discovered if was legal to hunt them here) but he didn't want to buck the "shipping exotic meats across state lines" issue. I have a local friend who grew up in Louisiana and has eaten squirrel who keeps promising to bag some for me. <*tapping toes impatiently*>

One of The Pub regulars originally from N. Carolina has offered so maybe this Fall I will be able mark this off my Bucket List.

Yah, yah, my bucket list is pretty simple.

Squirrel season is coming up October 1st in Maine. I wonder if I could pressure can squirrel (like you can other meats) and send you some?
My pressure canning book has rabbit (listed under the heading "poultry"????), bear & venison but they skipped squirrel.

Squirrel season is coming up October 1st in Maine. I wonder if I could pressure can squirrel (like you can other meats) and send you some?
My pressure canning book has rabbit (listed under the heading "poultry"????), bear & venison but they skipped squirrel.
canned squirrel - you could develop that into a niche business!

Back
Top Bottom