The Old Folks Home

The house my wife and I bought in Los Angeles has a property title from 1910. It clearly says that the property title cannot be transferred to anybody of chinese, japanese or black heritage.

California - not the deep south.

I cannot imagine how my Filipino wife of Chinese decent felt as she signed the closing documents on this now unenforceable caveat.

We have many American friends that were locked up in the west coast prison camps during WW2 because their grandparents immigrated from Japan. Some of those imprisoned included American born WW1 veterans. This special treatment did not apply to Americans of Italian nor German decent. The Americans of Japanese decent in Hawaii did not get locked up - the island state could not put 30% of its population in jail.

How many of you think "terrorist" when you see a Muslim man boarding your aircraft?

Last edited:
I was told all my life that my great grandfather married and Indian woman from the Souix tribe in South Dakota and that is why My grandfather had to change his birth certificate. If anyone had known he was a half breed they never would have let him join the Army or the Police force.

Oz I just recently learned that there was an internment camp in Utah while I was listening to an interview with George Takei. He and his family were interred in one of the camps in Arkansas. His description of the day they were made to leave their home was eye opening. For a country to turn their back on U.S. citizens is still hard to understand. I am planning a photography trip down to the camp site. There is not much left at the site and they are working on a small museum but I would like to capture the "feel" of the place if I can. The site opened on September 11, 1942 and closed October 31, 1945. Hard to believe they kept those people away from their homes for over three years.

Oz I just recently learned that there was an internment camp in Utah while I was listening to an interview with George Takei. He and his family were interred in one of the camps in Arkansas. His description of the day they were made to leave their home was eye opening. For a country to turn their back on U.S. citizens is still hard to understand. I am planning a photography trip down to the camp site. There is not much left at the site and they are working on a small museum but I would like to capture the "feel" of the place if I can. The site opened on September 11, 1942 and closed October 31, 1945. Hard to believe they kept those people away from their homes for over three years.
there were 110,000 American citizens held prisoner in 10 camps.

The camp at Manzanar in CA is mostly just foundations now but has a certain erieness as you go through it.

http://www.nps.gov/manz/index.htm

135 Americans died while being held captive by their own country.

One hundred seventy-four men from Manzanar were inducted directly into armed forces. Their parents wore blue stars for sons in the military and gold ones for those who died in combat. The lone Japanese American to win the Medal of Honor, Private First Class Sadao Munemori, was from Manzanar.

6 Americans, who, despite being held prisoner in Manzanar, died in combat defending the country that turned its back on them

Last edited:
I live less than 10 miles from the camp in northern Wy. They have rebuilt part of it and made a very informative museum there. In its day it was the largest city in Wyoming.

Here on BYC, at TOFH, we are bound together by our interest in poultry, caring not what label another would assign any of us. I am eternally grateful to have found this place where we are all just humans, sharing all manner of events and ponderings and supporting and encouraging one another.

Can you imagine what our retirement home would look like if we all actually shared one old folks' home? The very notion brings a smile to my face :) How many acres would we need to properly house all the poultry we collectively keep? The mind boggles ...

I was talking about a similar topic with a friend today. It is easier for some people to make excuses for their mistakes and poor behavior, so they continue in it, rather than admit, and learn from their mistakes, then put in the effort to change. It's very hard to look in the mirror, and admit we fall short of being what we should. It takes a lot of work to strive to be the best person we can. We oftentimes tend to be guilty of this as a nation as well. There are many mistakes all countries have made throughout history. To admit them, puts a black mark on the country in regards to that particular mistake, but to admit the mistake, learn from it, then set higher standards is an improvement, and a good goal for a better future. To cover them up, and make excuses to justify the mistake(s) is a worse black spot on a country making the mistake(s), because it covers up the need for improvement in that area. We can't build a better future that way.

Back
Top Bottom