The Old Folks Home

tnspursfan, I am sending all kinds of prayers and keeping :fl that everything goes great with the surgery and that the swelling is not too bad this time. Can't imagine going through this kind of procedure once with a child, let alone more than once. You have a bunch of people pulling for you and Maddy on here. :love

tnspursfan, I am sending all kinds of prayers and keeping
fl.gif
that everything goes great with the surgery and that the swelling is not too bad this time. Can't imagine going through this kind of procedure once with a child, let alone more than once. You have a bunch of people pulling for you and Maddy on here.
love.gif
x2 Sending prayers your way.

tnspursfan, I am sending all kinds of prayers and keeping
fl.gif
that everything goes great with the surgery and that the swelling is not too bad this time. Can't imagine going through this kind of procedure once with a child, let alone more than once. You have a bunch of people pulling for you and Maddy on here.
love.gif

Now y'all just gonna get me bawling.
hit.gif

She is a ball of thunder, that one. I have never met someone as full of life as she is. And smart. She is going into this surgery knowing as much about it as we thought she could understand. She's seen the scans and Dr. Kelly helped us to explain it all to her. The nurses (and her eye dr., dentist, etc.) are always surprised at how well behaved and calm she is. With her it all comes down to the stickers. Vandy has the best. Sophia the First, Doc Mc Stuffins, Princesses. You should see my laptop. It's covered.

Maddy is adorable regardless of how much hair she has. We will all be thinking of her and of you - I hope you will let us all know how she is doing.

ChickenCanoe, I am not showing, someone I know may have entered a Dominique or two, not sure, and others I know only virtually are to be there with some entries, so I'll try to meet them in person. The poultry show at the CO state fair is usually very game and bantam heavy, and people are supposed to leave birds on site until at least 6 pm the day of judging, but they don't, they pull them out of their cages and beat feet right after judging, so it's pretty disappointing to go during or after judging and just see a bunch of empty cages. This year I'm thinking of going the previous afternoon on my way home, since I have to work that day anyway (the 23rd). I've not shown a chicken yet. I have a really nice RIR cockerel I hatched in February I would have entered had he not managed to lose most of his longer tail feathers. I'm pretty happy with him. His sire is Baby Huey, his name is Junior, and he won't look like a Junior much longer, he's a big boy. His roommate, Little Red, is a most obnoxious hen who bullies him despite the fact he's twice her size, and I suspect she is to blame for his missing feathers. No matter, he is healthy and strong, and every day I breathe a sigh of relief I kept a good one. At least, good to my eye. Would have been nice to know what a judge thought, but there's always next year. If I ever get around to taking pictures this summer I'll post a few of him.

My summer has just been unrelentingly busy. Tomorrow and Wednesday I am in Denver to teach, and have used up all my FF so DH only has to worry about water and dry food. Will restart the bucket when I return Wednesday evening. It will only be soaked for the first couple of days, but that's fine, soaked or fermented, it's still less waste and seems to me more digestible.

Hope your hatch goes well!

I do recall a lot of turmoil after MLKs assassination. I was in high school.

There is so much history that has been forgotten. A lot depends on who writes the history books. Bless the journalists of the time.

About all I can remember of history books in grade school are things like the invention of the cotton gin, the major wars, etc..

Not until I was an adult was I aware of the Paraguayan war between Paraguay against Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. It killed a half million people from 1864–1870, possibly another million to disease. 90% of the male population of Paraguay were killed. How can something of that scale not be in history books?

I do recall a lot of turmoil after MLKs assassination. I was in high school.

There is so much history that has been forgotten. A lot depends on who writes the history books. Bless the journalists of the time.

About all I can remember of history books in grade school are things like the invention of the cotton gin, the major wars, etc..

Not until I was an adult was I aware of the Paraguayan war between Paraguay against Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. It killed a half million people from 1864–1870, possibly another million to disease. 90% of the male population of Paraguay were killed. How can something of that scale not be in history books?

Probably for the same reason that our Civil War isn't featured in many foreign texts. The Paraguayan War is something you encounter in college if you are a history major interested in Latin American history.

Most Americans don't even know about the French conquest of Mexico, and President Juarez's successful organization of efforts to send them packing.

I disagree with you Yakima.

Modern countries outside of the us study world history and geography. We learn of such atrocities. We know of the events that shaped the world and where they occurred.

America focuses on american history. The knowledge of Americans pertaining to world history and geography is appalling.

That's why cinco de mayo is a bigger event in the USA than it is in mexico

Last edited:
I was quite upset when I found out that a 2x4x96 inch piece of wood was not 2, nor 4, nor 96.

Is Maddy having another surgery?
hugs.gif
Disturbing things to learn.
Nominal dimensions are historically the dimensions when green wood were cut. Through drying and planning the wood shrinks and gets some shaved off.
Historically, the nominal dimensions were the size of the green, rough boards.
Making matters worse, finished lumber has gotten smaller over time. This is especially true through the early 1900s. The current size was standardized in the 1960s.
led for green rough lumber to be of full nominal dimension when dry. However, the dimensions have diminished over time. A finished 1 inch (nominal) board is 3⁄4 inch and finished size of 2 inch (nominal) lumber is currently 1 1⁄2 inches.

That refers to softwood like pine normally used for framing.

Hardwood has different dimensions depending on whether it is finished on one side or two.

Yes. On the 27th. Notice the indent on the right side of her temple? They are going to fill that in, and the 3D scans found places where the skull still had not quite fused together that need to be taken care of. They'll be taking bone from one of her ribs. Jeez...I can't even think it without going breathless.
I wish good outcomes for you.

Oh yeah. She's all excited that she gets to stay in hotel rooms and the Drs. give her stickers every time they take blood. I'm more scared of how she'll handle when the swelling starts after surgery...the last on was @ 6 months old and the swelling was scary as heck. She'll be in the hospital for a week. She gets a new tablet (computer) to keep her occupied...and lots of board games. We even found Mousetrap.
It's all about the fun we can find in the moment.

Maddy is adorable regardless of how much hair she has. We will all be thinking of her and of you - I hope you will let us all know how she is doing.

ChickenCanoe, I am not showing, someone I know may have entered a Dominique or two, not sure, and others I know only virtually are to be there with some entries, so I'll try to meet them in person. The poultry show at the CO state fair is usually very game and bantam heavy, and people are supposed to leave birds on site until at least 6 pm the day of judging, but they don't, they pull them out of their cages and beat feet right after judging, so it's pretty disappointing to go during or after judging and just see a bunch of empty cages. This year I'm thinking of going the previous afternoon on my way home, since I have to work that day anyway (the 23rd). I've not shown a chicken yet. I have a really nice RIR cockerel I hatched in February I would have entered had he not managed to lose most of his longer tail feathers. I'm pretty happy with him. His sire is Baby Huey, his name is Junior, and he won't look like a Junior much longer, he's a big boy. His roommate, Little Red, is a most obnoxious hen who bullies him despite the fact he's twice her size, and I suspect she is to blame for his missing feathers. No matter, he is healthy and strong, and every day I breathe a sigh of relief I kept a good one. At least, good to my eye. Would have been nice to know what a judge thought, but there's always next year. If I ever get around to taking pictures this summer I'll post a few of him.

My summer has just been unrelentingly busy. Tomorrow and Wednesday I am in Denver to teach, and have used up all my FF so DH only has to worry about water and dry food. Will restart the bucket when I return Wednesday evening. It will only be soaked for the first couple of days, but that's fine, soaked or fermented, it's still less waste and seems to me more digestible.

Hope your hatch goes well!

Thanks. The first couple settings I did after the devastation were not real successful but I've been pretty pleased since then.

I've never shown either. I doubt penedesencas will be in shows any time soon.

Last edited:
I disagree with you Yakima.

Modern countries outside of the us study world history and geography. We learn of such atrocities. We know of the events that shaped the world and where they occurred.

America focuses on american history. The knowledge of Americans pertaining to world history and geography is appalling.

That's why cinco de mayo is a bigger event in the USA than it is in mexico

Cinco de Mayo is not an official US holiday; the reason the Battle of Puebla has become the penultimate holiday for Americans of Mexican descent is beyond me.

We do study world history. The Armenian Genocide, the Young Turks, the Crimean War, the rise of the Zulu Kingdom, all of that showed up in college. A great deal of it showed up in high school. And in the freshman year of high school we had world geography which covered physical, cultural, and economic geography. We even learned about how the Brits in Austraila hunted the natives for entertainment, not unlike our own collection of morally bankrupt Gold Rush types who did the same thing.

Where one goes to high school makes a great difference. The high school I attended was considered one of the better schools in not only the state, but the nation at the time I attended it. Now it is very poorly rated and many of the students are the children of illiterate immigrants. In 1998 the school was still reasonably highly rated; in the years since then the town has become heavily populated by illegal immigrants with the resulting decline in school standards and the flight of those who can afford to go elsewhere. The mandatory core curriculum is now significantly less rigorous.

Back
Top Bottom