The Old Folks Home

tntchix I would try to talk daughter out of the more extreme piercings for now only so she can think about it. I look at some kids with those huge things in their ear lobes and all I can think is you might regret that at 40. I didn't even pierce my daughter's ears when she was little. I let her make up her mind about that on her own when she was an adult. I probably sound "stuffy" but I know that if a "kid" was sitting across from me in an interview with huge ear rings (I don't know what the heck they are called) I would have a hard time hiring that person.
chickisoup I am sorry you are going through this and I hope the chemo will cure your leukemia. :hugs I know many types of leukemia are curable but some aren't. My dad passed away from CLL years ago. I was not impressed with his oncologist. When he was in the hospital going through a blastic phase, they had it under control enough to send him home. We all knew he didn't have very much time left and he was supposed to get hospice. I was happy about that because my mom has MS and really couldn't care for him. His oncologist asked him if he wanted to try an experimental drug. Of course he did which changed his status back to active care which made him ineligible for hospice. I don't think he made it to his first treatment with the new drug. I did like his general practitioner. He wouldn't have offered the experimental drugs to my dad because he realized how close to the end my dad was at. I understand this is how experimental drugs get tested on humans for eventual use but doctors really have got to assess the situation better. Here was a man who was falling asleep with his eyes open. I am no doctor but even I knew he was close to death when I saw that. Let the poor man go home to pass away in his bed and let his disabled wife get the hospice help to keep him comfortable until the end comes.

tntchix I would try to talk daughter out of the more extreme piercings for now only so she can think about it. I look at some kids with those huge things in their ear lobes and all I can think is you might regret that at 40. I didn't even pierce my daughter's ears when she was little. I let her make up her mind about that on her own when she was an adult. I probably sound "stuffy" but I know that if a "kid" was sitting across from me in an interview with huge ear rings (I don't know what the heck they are called) I would have a hard time hiring that person.
chickisoup I am sorry you are going through this and I hope the chemo will cure your leukemia.
hugs.gif
I know many types of leukemia are curable but some aren't. My dad passed away from CLL years ago. I was not impressed with his oncologist. When he was in the hospital going through a blastic phase, they had it under control enough to send him home. We all knew he didn't have very much time left and he was supposed to get hospice. I was happy about that because my mom has MS and really couldn't care for him. His oncologist asked him if he wanted to try an experimental drug. Of course he did which changed his status back to active care which made him ineligible for hospice. I don't think he made it to his first treatment with the new drug. I did like his general practitioner. He wouldn't have offered the experimental drugs to my dad because he realized how close to the end my dad was at. I understand this is how experimental drugs get tested on humans for eventual use but doctors really have got to assess the situation better. Here was a man who was falling asleep with his eyes open. I am no doctor but even I knew he was close to death when I saw that. Let the poor man go home to pass away in his bed and let his disabled wife get the hospice help to keep him comfortable until the end comes.

In a culture of life at all cost that is found in the US, this is not un uncommon situation.

I completely agree Oz it just made me angry because I think my dad was prepared for hospice care and goodness knows my mom needed the help. He also knew that the experimental drug was not going to cure him. I just wish the doc would have selected a better candidate for the drug. He was so close, nothing was going to save him but you offer a drowning man any chance and well....

I completely agree Oz it just made me angry because I think my dad was prepared for hospice care and goodness knows my mom needed the help. He also knew that the experimental drug was not going to cure him. I just wish the doc would have selected a better candidate for the drug. He was so close, nothing was going to save him but you offer a drowning man any chance and well....
hugs.gif

I am so sorry.

I lost my parents 9 days apart after caring for them for 12 years. Losing a loved one is so difficult.
hugs.gif

For what its worth I love tattoos.... but I wonder what they will look like when the person reaches my age where things tend to migrate.... down...

I been known to complement Hells Angles while in the line at the grocery store.. With little things like... Oh my that mush have hurt... Cobweb on the elbow... I am always greeted by a grin and a whole hearted agreement and conversation. My son is mortified .... I usually say What? Hey people get tattoos to get noticed....

But the deal is they are permanent.... and care should be made that they are done with artistry. So I am a fan of Henna Tattoos... I always wanted a kit to experiment. They wear off after about a week.

Mom pierced my ears when I was about nine. Sewing needle and cork.... and some nylon thread. knotted in a loop and the knot kissed with her cigarette so it wouldn't come un-done.

Back when multiple piercings along the ear first became popular I went to the Fair and got a second set done with one of those piercing guns... Two sets both have closed up over the past twenty years. I think I can get earrings in the originals with a little grimmacing and some alcohol.

I do want a single tattoo of a flower placed where I can see it... Just very crisp lines and some shading. Then I can shade it myself with Eyeshadow and a sprits of hairspray to keep the colors from rubbing off on clothes.

deb

For what its worth I love tattoos.... but I wonder what they will look like when the person reaches my age where things tend to migrate.... down...

I been known to complement Hells Angles while in the line at the grocery store.. With little things like... Oh my that mush have hurt... Cobweb on the elbow... I am always greeted by a grin and a whole hearted agreement and conversation. My son is mortified .... I usually say What? Hey people get tattoos to get noticed....

But the deal is they are permanent.... and care should be made that they are done with artistry. So I am a fan of Henna Tattoos... I always wanted a kit to experiment. They wear off after about a week.

Mom pierced my ears when I was about nine. Sewing needle and cork.... and some nylon thread. knotted in a loop and the knot kissed with her cigarette so it wouldn't come un-done.

Back when multiple piercings along the ear first became popular I went to the Fair and got a second set done with one of those piercing guns... Two sets both have closed up over the past twenty years. I think I can get earrings in the originals with a little grimmacing and some alcohol.

I do want a single tattoo of a flower placed where I can see it... Just very crisp lines and some shading. Then I can shade it myself with Eyeshadow and a sprits of hairspray to keep the colors from rubbing off on clothes.

deb
One thing for us old folks to watch out for is tattoos and diabetes. The color has to be refreshed in a tattoo every couple of years because it fades so if you come down with diabetes as you get older, it is a bad thing. Diabetics are not supposed to have tattoos. Poor healing and all that junk.

Just before I went to bootcamp I had a tattoo done on my big toe. I figured if I died I would get the last laugh when they put the toe tag on.
Have 'FDA Inspected And Approved' on my big toe, like on meat. Yeah I was inebriated when I had it done, but at least it is where no one can see it.

Just before I went to bootcamp I had a tattoo done on my big toe. I figured if I died I would get the last laugh when they put the toe tag on.
Have 'FDA Inspected And Approved' on my big toe, like on meat. Yeah I was inebriated when I had it done, but at least it is where no one can see it.

If you get a chance watch the movie "Up Periscope" OH my Gawd.
gig.gif
the whole story has a tattoo thread that I cant repeat here.

Back
Top Bottom