The Old Folks Home

Quote: We made ours with about an inch long piece of ginger, peeled and chopped in small pieces, thrown together with 2 quarts of water and brought to a boil, then poured the ginger water on top of a pound of sugar (brown sugar should work well, I used plain white and some "fariinisokeri" which is way browner than your brown sugar). Then grated the zest of two limes, and the juice of 3 limes and a lemon into it, and added another 2 quarts of cold water. Once the concoction was down to 42C, I added about a tenth of a teaspoon of dry bakers yeast, and let it sit for about 36 hours with a loose lid in room temperature. We just now bottled the stuff (and strained it while doing so), and I'll leave it on the counter in room temperature over night or possibly 24 hours before transferring to the fridge. We'll see how it turns out, this is my first time making it myself.

Al, the moon's gravitational pull on such a small body of fluid would barely even be measurable, I doubt you would see much of a spike in birth dates during full moons.

Our trail cam is set again, Hilma should be checking on her young within a few hours.

Last edited:
What are you incubating Linda?
I have 16 Black Autralorps that I won and may be hatchery. I will probably sell them. I found some local really good ones and I'll try again. I have the Blosl and XW white rocks that I am attempting to get a handle on. Just a Blosl pair and a XW trio. Slow going. THEN I have some of the super blue egg layers from DMRippy. White with a tinge of blue but they are hugr. I crossed with my Blosl cock and we'll see what happens. Maybe light olive?
ya.gif
Laying larger eggs?

We made ours with about an inch long piece of ginger, peeled and chopped in small pieces, thrown together with 2 quarts of water and brought to a boil, then poured the ginger water on top of a pound of sugar (brown sugar should work well, I used plain white and some "fariinisokeri" which is way browner than your brown sugar). Then grated the zest of two limes, and the juice of 3 limes and a lemon into it, and added another 2 quarts of cold water. Once the concoction was down to 42C, I added about a tenth of a teaspoon of dry bakers yeast, and let it sit for about 36 hours with a loose lid in room temperature. We just now bottled the stuff (and strained it while doing so), and I'll leave it on the counter in room temperature over night or possibly 24 hours before transferring to the fridge. We'll see how it turns out, this is my first time making it myself.

Al, the moon's gravitational pull on such a small body of fluid would barely even be measurable, I doubt you would see much of a spike in birth dates during full moons.

Our trail cam is set again, Hilma should be checking on her young within a few hours.
I have made rootbeer, sasparilla, gingerbeer and etc. It is fun! The sasparilla was the best tasting of the ones I made.

I'd like to try sasparilla some time, I've never had it. Root beer I've tried, they have all tasted horrible. I think it's been some hippy dippy naturally fermented organic health stuff though...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the raisins. When bottling the sima, I added a teaspoon of sugar and a couple raising to each bottle to carbonate it, when the raisins rise to the surface it's ready to go in the fridge.

Mead is where the term 'Honey Moon' originated. A month's 'moon's' worth of mead 'honey wine' was given to newlyweds.

My dad always put white raisens in his hard cider, I don't. When I bottle I add a half cup or around 5oz of corn sugar, dextrose the same with beer to carbonate and wait at least a month. Have to use champagne bottles with wire hoods or beer bottles or the bottles will explode. Soda can be made the same way by adding champagne yeast and putting in plastic bottles, as soon as they get hard put them in the fridge to stop any further fermentation. I prefer force carbonating my beer in 5gal soda kegs now, no wait and no sediment, and no washing sanitizing capping bottles.

Last edited:
vehve your ginger ale looks great! Ron sounds like you like the home made drinks vs store bought.

Check out my new chicken harness. Oh wait no Turkey harness. lol

This turkey is about a month old now and she needs to grow a bit more so the harness will fit. lol

OMG chicka that harness is adorable on that turkey! I don't think I would take my turkey for a walk but you will be styling with that pink harness! ;)

CC, I'm not saying it would hurt in any way either. Who knows, you might even be able to charge more for the chicks with them being in tune with the universe and everything
tongue.png

Beer, I haven't seen any data, but I would assume that stress might be a triggering factor for labor. I know a lot of babies are born ca. 9 months after storms too...

lot of women actually birth according to the phase f the moon. I guess the moon pulls at the amniotic fluid, just like it pulls the waters in the oceans and causes tides?
Not sure about the moon phases but my son was born when a storm front was moving through and the OB said that the barometric pressure changes cause many women who have an already thinned membrane to break and go into labor. That's what happen to me. BTW: They had more women in delivery and recovery than they had beds on the baby wing. He said that it happened a lot with storms.

vehve your ginger ale looks great! Ron sounds like you like the home made drinks vs store bought.

Check out my new chicken harness. Oh wait no Turkey harness. lol

This turkey is about a month old now and she needs to grow a bit more so the harness will fit. lol
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom