The Old Folks Home

Morning everybody. It is morning isn't it? Eyes aren't cooperating yet and my coffee cup is still 2/3rds full.:caf

New chicks are doing great. Little miss pasty butt is thriving as are the others. I went out this morning when I got up to see them and they were running around like balls in a pin ball machine which is fantastic. They finally decided that they love scrambled egg and their new feathers are itching so everything is progressing as nature intends.

Eggs in the incubator are developing. Today is day 8.5 for them. I gave Iris the eggs on the afternoon of the 21. Given that they are bantam eggs they are running a little ahead of themselves on development.

No big plans for today. Still nursing my back along so not too much going to happen that is overly physical. It's still pretty wet and sloppy here especially with rain overnight. Cleaning the coops is on hold till we can get the tractor out and that takes things drying out.

@maddysmamaw, so glad to hear that Maddy is thriving. I just want to hug that brave little girl. Tell her that she has a fan club dedicated to her here at the Old Folks Home with a bunch of honorary aunties and uncles rooting her on!

@pam s thanks for stopping by! You are welcomed to come back and visit with us whenever you like!

12151.gif

Morning everybody. It is morning isn't it? Eyes aren't cooperating yet and my coffee cup is still 2/3rds full.:caf

New chicks are doing great. Little miss pasty butt is thriving as are the others. I went out this morning when I got up to see them and they were running around like balls in a pin ball machine which is fantastic. They finally decided that they love scrambled egg and their new feathers are itching so everything is progressing as nature intends.

Eggs in the incubator are developing. Today is day 8.5 for them. I gave Iris the eggs on the afternoon of the 21. Given that they are bantam eggs they are running a little ahead of themselves on development.

No big plans for today. Still nursing my back along so not too much going to happen that is overly physical. It's still pretty wet and sloppy here especially with rain overnight. Cleaning the coops is on hold till we can get the tractor out and that takes things drying out.

@maddysmamaw, so glad to hear that Maddy is thriving. I just want to hug that brave little girl. Tell her that she has a fan club dedicated to her here at the Old Folks Home with a bunch of honorary aunties and uncles rooting her on!

@pam s thanks for stopping by! You are welcomed to come back and visit with us whenever you like!
Good news on the hatch!

I made to work today. We are finally getting a storm! Snow at the lower elevations and then 1 to 2 inches of rain in the valley.

There will be flash flood warnings in the burn ares both up here and down south though

View attachment 1279695 Did i show you folks my quail cage?View attachment 1278541
I ordered quail eggs, then the guineas started laying SO, i was forced to order another incubator. Bird math!
Just a caution, from everything I have read, you have to keep Quail in either a very high enclosure (like 7 feet tall), or a very short one, around 8 inches to a foot tall due to their flushing response. If they startle, they go straight up, and if they get their speed up and hit the roof, they will break their necks. That is why they suggest 8 inches to a foot in height, the birds don't get up enough speed to hurt themselves before they hit the top.

Back
Top Bottom