The Old Folks Home

Most of my recent studies have dealt with how radios work. When you take one of those circuit boards out of a radio or tv, by golly, I know what most of those little components are and what they are supposed to do. DH even taught me how to solder and create my own little circuit boards, which I really do enjoy doing.

Around us, most HAMS are into emergency services. One operator does MARS relaying for armed services but mostly the 'practices' center around setting up emergency radio services at disaster sites. What my test did for me was open up access to frequencies that would allow me to contact 'foreign' operators. Most HAMS will do this just to see how far their radio signals can reach.

I did have a fun conversation with a friend who was one of my examiners. His doe Nigerian cross is due to kid and she is HUGE! I swear I don't know how this little girl is staying upright. He said today that her belly is almost to the ground and he's worried that she is going to have triplets. I asked him if he was set up to handle a bottle baby and he said...well I've been meaning to talk to you and your husband about that.........

:th:idunnoI told DH and he said 'what would we do with it? I told him, put it in the bathroom?

We both looked at one another, got the mental picture of our house with 7 less than bright dogs, and 5 even more brainless cats AND a kid goat running around and we both cracked up laughing.

Unfortunately we could both see it happening........

Most of my recent studies have dealt with how radios work. When you take one of those circuit boards out of a radio or tv, by golly, I know what most of those little components are and what they are supposed to do. DH even taught me how to solder and create my own little circuit boards, which I really do enjoy doing.

Around us, most HAMS are into emergency services. One operator does MARS relaying for armed services but mostly the 'practices' center around setting up emergency radio services at disaster sites. What my test did for me was open up access to frequencies that would allow me to contact 'foreign' operators. Most HAMS will do this just to see how far their radio signals can reach.

I did have a fun conversation with a friend who was one of my examiners. His doe Nigerian cross is due to kid and she is HUGE! I swear I don't know how this little girl is staying upright. He said today that her belly is almost to the ground and he's worried that she is going to have triplets. I asked him if he was set up to handle a bottle baby and he said...well I've been meaning to talk to you and your husband about that.........

:th:idunnoI told DH and he said 'what would we do with it? I told him, put it in the bathroom?

We both looked at one another, got the mental picture of our house with 7 less than bright dogs, and 5 even more brainless cats AND a kid goat running around and we both cracked up laughing.

Unfortunately we could both see it happening........
Oh yeah, goats in the bathtub ! Been there, done that.

Well, we were able to get out today. DH was determined that I was going to get a chance to take the test that I had long studied for.

The roads were frankly only so so. We had about a quarter inch of ice on everything along with an inch and a half of snow. No roads were treated but the interstate was clear. We just had to get from point A to point B.

The good news is.....I PASSED!

giphy.gif

I only missed one question out of 50. One that I didn't think I'd answered wrong. The one I was in question about, I got right...go figure.

So I've attained the highest ranking of Amateur Radio Operator. No more studying, no more trowing the books across the room and swearing at miserable excuses of human beings that come up with the almost impossible questions that they inflict on the applicants.

Tee hee...I won't know what to do with all the spare time I have now....OH I know! Quilt! Do some sketches and paintings!

DH asked me when I was going to get back to studying Morse Code now that I had finished Element 4......

Once again, if I repeated what I said, I'd get banned...

I did discover that I had a night visitor to my coop last night. Fox prints all over in the snow. Around the run, in the barn. I think it was just perusing for rabbits but if you think you don't have predators afoot, just check out fresh snow for a real wake up!
1d4c21e6_smilies-3434.png I will me nice to not have to study anymore!

Nope. He has three bred does right now. I'd love to get a couple kids from him but realistically I know that while I feel good today, it's not destined to go on forever.

Ahhhhhh steroids. I was in the grocery store today and reached up over my head to grab a couple of gallons of ice cream from a top freezer shelf. Told DH, See me do that? Couldn't do that last week! Me love Steroids.....not really, in fact I hate them but they do their job soooooo well.

Hello all - I’ve got an unwanted (and pointless) broody, no rooster. Borrowed a cage for her and hoping for a quick resolution. I hate the idea of her out there on cold nights in the (completely secure) run.

Otherwise all is well here. Rain and temps in the 50s, but going down to 19 tonight. Skiers’ nightmare! And ice everywhere. The emergency rooms will see plenty of sprains and broken bones. I hope not mine!

I’m careful.

Hi ya Angel!

I don't have broodies at the moment I just have about 15 little heathen horn dog roosters who are running around making total nuisances of themselves due to the very mild temps we had up until this weekend.

I don't have my rooster coop set up yet. Not planning to use it till February. Until then, I like to keep the young roosters in with the regular flock so they can help keep the hens warm. When the days start lengthening and the testosterone starts to flow I move them into their own coop where they can beat the snot out of one another to their hearts content.

At least with the winter storm that went through Fri and Sat and the low temps in the teens for a few nights, hopefully their hormones will settle down for a month or two.

Well, we were able to get out today. DH was determined that I was going to get a chance to take the test that I had long studied for.

The roads were frankly only so so. We had about a quarter inch of ice on everything along with an inch and a half of snow. No roads were treated but the interstate was clear. We just had to get from point A to point B.

The good news is.....I PASSED!

giphy.gif

I only missed one question out of 50. One that I didn't think I'd answered wrong. The one I was in question about, I got right...go figure.

So I've attained the highest ranking of Amateur Radio Operator. No more studying, no more trowing the books across the room and swearing at miserable excuses of human beings that come up with the almost impossible questions that they inflict on the applicants.

Tee hee...I won't know what to do with all the spare time I have now....OH I know! Quilt! Do some sketches and paintings!

DH asked me when I was going to get back to studying Morse Code now that I had finished Element 4......

Once again, if I repeated what I said, I'd get banned...

I did discover that I had a night visitor to my coop last night. Fox prints all over in the snow. Around the run, in the barn. I think it was just perusing for rabbits but if you think you don't have predators afoot, just check out fresh snow for a real wake up!

I knew you could do it
boss.gif

Back
Top Bottom