The Old Folks Home

@microchick Little Willameena Wonka is grown up. At 19 weeks she laid her first egg. Wasn't expecting eggs for another few weeks. Willameena is the bantam BCM you wanted when she was still tiny. Her's is the egg in front of the group.View attachment 3152255View attachment 3152254
She is a beautiful young ladybird!

I just love my bantams. My last hatch of them is 5 weeks old now and looking like little miniatures of their parents. Except the two ringers which I'm thrilled to find are my first Fayoumi/Amish cross PULLETS! YAY!

Need to get pictures of them.

Sorry guys haven't been on the forum much. Very busy with life. Weather is making it hard to harvest wood.

DH presented me with an early birthday gift. A 14 inch Ryobi battery operated chain saw. Love it to pieces. He said he would have waited till next month but he knows I have so many projects in the works that I'd have more fun with it now.

Plus discovered that something is eating my free range roosters. Found one in the loft, head, neck, internal organs, breast meat all gone. It's been in the mid 90s all week so it wasn't hard tracking down the origins of the odor that was wafting from the barn.

Thought maybe it was the stray cat we trapped earlier but not sure due to the state of decay.

Today I readied a pen so the roosters can be protected at night and let out during the day.

What do you guys think? Raccoon or cat? The rooster wasn't too big, Twice bantam sized maybe at the most.

I've got the trap set just in case.

I just love my bantams. My last hatch of them is 5 weeks old now and looking like little miniatures of their parents. Except the two ringers which I'm thrilled to find are my first Fayoumi/Amish cross PULLETS! YAY!

Sorry guys haven't been on the forum much. Very busy with life. Weather is making it hard to harvest wood.

DH presented me with an early birthday gift. A 14 inch Ryobi battery operated chain saw. Love it to pieces. He said he would have waited till next month but he knows I have so many projects in the works that I'd have more fun with it now.

Plus discovered that something is eating my free range roosters. Found one in the loft, head, neck, internal organs, breast meat all gone. It's been in the mid 90s all week so it wasn't hard tracking down the origins of the odor that was wafting from the barn.

Thought maybe it was the stray cat we trapped earlier but not sure due to the state of decay.

Today I readied a pen so the roosters can be protected at night and let out during the day.

What do you guys think? Raccoon or cat? The rooster wasn't too big, Twice bantam sized maybe at the most.

I'm thinking the cat.

That's what I thought too but not sure.

The cartilage was even chewed off the end of the breast bone but the fact that it was going after another bantam cross when we caught it makes me believe it was the culprit and it was just staying out of sight for a few nights before we caught it.

To make life even more interesting, I had to put a bantam cross rooster down after it developed some weird symptoms that I think were related to a heart problem. Picked him up and fluid poured out of his mouth. Smelled like sour crop so I treated him only he got worse instead of better and his comb turned black. All he wanted to do was sleep with his head down on the straw. When he refused food after gobbling down bread with miconazole on it I called it and put him down. He was thin so I suspect he had a heart problem even through he was 3 at the oldest.

When you have chickens, it's always something.

Well, I went out to fill water buckets and get a few of the kids penned up. Hose in the back yard had turned into Yellowstone.. Wonder how much water escaped in the few hours it was going.. Then found one of the silkie chicks in with Mara and her 3 kids.. Oh golly! Lastly a few of the 15 week olds, Namely War Bonnet and Hopi were on the wrong side of the divider and Crow was giving them a run for their money. Caught Hopi easily enough as she had buried her head in a corner.. I managed to move War Bonnet around to the divider then opened the gate and stood back... He hopped right through that gate! "Phew, sure glad I'm back home!" I wonder how many more times they will pull that stunt before realizing it's not a cool thing to do.

My theory is, it doesn't really matter which predator it is. It just means you need to beef up security.

Back
Top Bottom