The Old Folks Home

That would be nice. The only coffee grounds available here are from our kitchen. Small town without a coffee and donut hangout. I do get to use the deep litter out on the area where I will plant to sweet corn the following year so it is not wasted. The only way to breed purebreds is to have a coop for each breed or if it is a sex link then a coop for the cross breed. With silkies coming on I want to have multiple houses just for those to work on some strains of my own. I fell in love with them with the first I hatched.

Good morning.
Mine are deep litter kept in large hoop houses. Lots of space per bird. 10 hens and a rooster in a 14x16 hoop house. They have been free ranging daylight until dark until now. Now I've got lots of garden space that can get to so until after harvest they have a run by day and a large spacious hoop house by night. In bad weather they can stay inside.

We do have to feed and water them all daily. Under two hours a day for that.
@LTAY1946 Any chance of pictures?

Good morning.

@LTAY1946 Any chance of pictures?
Yes. Maybe not to day in the rain. We are working on the latest coop that has 3' side walls instead of 2' or 4'. It seems to be the best design yet. It has 3 cattle panels and is 12' wide. Using it for an outdoor brooder house and then I can get pictures of a 14x16 with 4' side walls fitted with a rollout nest box that we've been using for red sex link production. One thing that is a plus for using hoop houses in our most moderate climate is that they can be moved if needed and even remodeled into a different size which is on the drawing board now. While I like the more conventional type coops they are not cost effective for what we are doing. Stay tuned for tomorrows post.

Last edited:
getaclue -- How are you feeling today? So sorry you're dealing with the prickly scourge. It's not something to wish upon anyone. Have you found relief?

My father had shingles...on his head. It bisected his face in half, much like you'd envision the Phantom of the Opera. Doctor was worried it would affect his sight, but it didn't. He turned dark purple and scaly in the affected area. He also self-medicated (like a good alcoholic) and kept himself sequestered upstairs except for when Mom would bring him down to show off to her Bridge Ladies. :/

BTW, this was a good 10 or 15 years before his passing.

We're having the spinoff from California's rains, but it's being metered in dribs, drabs and waves by a low system hovering over Arizona. I would prefer a real gulley washer instead and have it over and done with due to this prolongment has my knee(s) screaming about the weather. No action from the snow toe, so it'll be just wet-ish for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom