The Paddy Wagon

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
Our chicken tractor is called the Paddy Wagon. It's 4x8 and we have six chickens. The base is 2x6 lumber and 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood. We used some bicycle tires for the rear and 4x4 posts for the front. It is a bit heavy but two people can easily move it.

The walls were built in panels with 2x3 lumber and lined on the inside with a plywood veneer to keep things light.

The roof rafters are also 2x3 lumber and the roof is sheathed with plywood veneer, then with roof paper, and finally metal roofing with a ridge vent.

The siding is T1-11. There are windows that open on each side, a pop hole, side clean-out door, egg door, and roost clean-out door. We painted it white with blue trim and the interior is blue.

For ventilation there are wall vents in the two long walls and the windows, all covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. There is also a ridge vent and soffit vents that are covered in a mesh made for crawlspaces.

There is an awning that folds down flat during transport that covers the pop hole and the ramp is nice and long and sits in a slot on the side of the house.

It cost in the neighborhood of $650 to build.

Wow, a lot of thought and work went into that. Nicely done. 2x6's with 3/4" floor does sound like a bit of overkill, but maybe you're younger than me. The big wheels will make it a lot easier to move around. Good job!

Paul

Wow is right, very nicely constructed! I hope that thing doesn't take off downhill, might need some brakes!

Curious, why is it mobile...looks like it's going into a permanent run, maybe you have multiple run areas?
I assume that the pop door awning folds up/down and that you had to install some wire around where coop meets run?
You have to lock pop door from inside run?
Where are the nests?

Very cool!

Wow, a lot of thought and work went into that. Nicely done. 2x6's with 3/4" floor does sound like a bit of overkill, but maybe you're younger than me. The big wheels will make it a lot easier to move around. Good job!

Paul
We beefed up the frame for when I have to crawl around inside it to scrub and disinfect. We also wanted to make the bottom a little heavier so it could stand up to the wind a little better. The tires make moving it pretty easy if there are two people for the hills on our property.
Wow is right, very nicely constructed! I hope that thing doesn't take off downhill, might need some brakes!

Curious, why is it mobile...looks like it's going into a permanent run, maybe you have multiple run areas?
I assume that the pop door awning folds up/down and that you had to install some wire around where coop meets run?
You have to lock pop door from inside run?
Where are the nests?

Very cool!
Right now it's going through a gate into our backyard. The original plan was to have a summer and winter areas and move it a couple times a year. Now though we will be using it as a mobile brooder/grow-out/hospital and the chickens are moving into the old goose house as soon as the geese move into their new house. It just fits inside our garage and will make brooding easier in the future. The awning does fold down and there is wire blocking them from getting under the coop, but that is temporary. Once it is being used as the other things mentioned we will figure out a skirting system that is removable to be able to use as needed. The nests will go at the end I am taking the picture of the interior from. They aren't in there yet because my chickens are so young still and they will be moving to new digs.

There are more detailed posts on my blog called The Paddy Wagon parts one and two. Thanks for your comments!

Back
Top Bottom