Quick question: What is the distance between the top of the heat-plate and the rim of the box?
Have they already discovered that the top of the heat-plate is a nice place to sit?
I didn't bother to give my two Rouen ducklings any heat. Our air conditioner is not hooked up right now and our house is pretty warm. It does get down into the 70's but they are just fine and growing very fast. I think they might be 2 drakes. I got them for a buck a duck though so at least I will have fun raising them to adulthood and then will rehome them.

😭
Saturday was a terrible day here! Spent most of the day outside with the ducks, doing garden stuff. Had to leave for about 20 minutes to buy milk, a cabbage head and some apples. Even left the garage door open…
When i came back all the ducks were inside of the duck house, quiet and scared. I don't know what has happened, there were no signs of struggle, no feathers or paw prints but a lot of ducks are missing! Mister Chapo Duckman and two of his friends disappeared and worst of all Mayhem and Limpy were gone too!

Mr. Limpy, the last of the first ducks is no more! 💔
At first i could not find Harry Duckhini and Sunny Sunshine, but they hid in the kitchen, both so shaky and afraid that they spent the night inside the house.
Mayhem showed up the next morning, limping and with ruffled plumage, somehow he must have escaped from whatever that was. Fortunately he was not injured, but he is now afraid of me. The same drake that enjoyed sitting in my lap last year is literally fleeing me now.
Working turned out to be difficult, the dux are currently alerting multiple times every day and i have not been able to figure out what's triggering them. There's nothing visible on the cameras, but of course i run out every time…
Harry and Sunny usually spend the day on the patio where they feel safe:
full

Since Sunday i have noticed an unusual number of Turkey Vultures on my property:
full
They have never roosted on my fence posts before and the ducks are terrified by them. All the years before, there have been 2-3 of these birds around and now all of the sudden over ten are lurking.
Would Turkey Vultures attack ducks if they are really hungry? 🤔
Anyways, i have attached a ground- and a hot-wire from my electric fence to the top of the fence posts and they are no longer roosting there. But still circling in the sky.

It also seems that some of the mallard drakes have disappeared. Oh, and the crows have left. All of them! There is not a single crow in the area, where there were more than two dozen. A single pair of mallards shows up every morning, spends the day with the ducks (safety in numbers?) and flies off after sunset.

No clue what has happened here, but this place is not peaceful anymore. 👻
Sounds like it was more than animal to do this much damage. Possibly a pack of coyotes or foxes. I am so sorry that this happened. In daylight no less too! I wish your camera would have picked up what the culprit was. I pray that it does not return. I know how sad you must feel Frank. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

i’m so sorry 😢
😭
Saturday was a terrible day here! Spent most of the day outside with the ducks, doing garden stuff. Had to leave for about 20 minutes to buy milk, a cabbage head and some apples. Even left the garage door open…
When i came back all the ducks were inside of the duck house, quiet and scared. I don't know what has happened, there were no signs of struggle, no feathers or paw prints but a lot of ducks are missing! Mister Chapo Duckman and two of his friends disappeared and worst of all Mayhem and Limpy were gone too!

Mr. Limpy, the last of the first ducks is no more! 💔
At first i could not find Harry Duckhini and Sunny Sunshine, but they hid in the kitchen, both so shaky and afraid that they spent the night inside the house.
Mayhem showed up the next morning, limping and with ruffled plumage, somehow he must have escaped from whatever that was. Fortunately he was not injured, but he is now afraid of me. The same drake that enjoyed sitting in my lap last year is literally fleeing me now.
Working turned out to be difficult, the dux are currently alerting multiple times every day and i have not been able to figure out what's triggering them. There's nothing visible on the cameras, but of course i run out every time…
Harry and Sunny usually spend the day on the patio where they feel safe:
full

Since Sunday i have noticed an unusual number of Turkey Vultures on my property:
full
They have never roosted on my fence posts before and the ducks are terrified by them. All the years before, there have been 2-3 of these birds around and now all of the sudden over ten are lurking.
Would Turkey Vultures attack ducks if they are really hungry? 🤔
Anyways, i have attached a ground- and a hot-wire from my electric fence to the top of the fence posts and they are no longer roosting there. But still circling in the sky.

It also seems that some of the mallard drakes have disappeared. Oh, and the crows have left. All of them! There is not a single crow in the area, where there were more than two dozen. A single pair of mallards shows up every morning, spends the day with the ducks (safety in numbers?) and flies off after sunset.

No clue what has happened here, but this place is not peaceful anymore. 👻
i’m so sorry 😢 i’ve had days here with 10 or more of those turkey vultures in dead trees above us and made my dog stay out until those things were gone. they are scary and the ducks told me so.
i’m so sorry about your ducks 🌹🌷🌹🌷🌹🌷🌹

trudy’s goslings have started hatching …
when do they need food and water ?
and i guess i’ll have to take away the adult geese’s all flock pellets and let them eat starter crumbles too? Charlie been eating lots of grass ( yay for spring grass) but i also normally keep a bowl of pellets out for him and Trudy.

and i guess i’ll have to take away the adult geese’s all flock pellets and let them eat starter crumbles too? Charlie been eating lots of grass ( yay for spring grass) but i also normally keep a bowl of pellets out for him and Trudy.
How exciting!!!! Congratulations!!!! I pray that they all hatch!!!

How exciting!!!! Congratulations!!!! I pray that they all hatch!!!
Crumbles will be fine for everyone concerned. My Ducks always get duck starter once they hatch anything out and it is always crumbles. That way the little ones get what they need and don't choke. They also get a shallow water dish so that they don't jump in a drown. I had that happen to one duckling once and could not believe it could jump as high up at the bucket was. I felt terrible. I put a shallow water dish for them out right away along with a shallow dish for the food so they can reach it. Mine eat hours after hatching.

He and Trudy can eat starter it's good for them. Give them 24 hrs then put feed and water out they can actually go longer than that but mama will want to show them where food and water is.

Crumbles will be fine for everyone concerned. My Ducks always get duck starter once they hatch anything out and it is always crumbles. That way the little ones get what they need and don't choke. They also get a shallow water dish so that they don't jump in a drown. I had that happen to one duckling once and could not believe it could jump as high up at the bucket was. I felt terrible. I put a shallow water dish for them out right away along with a shallow dish for the food so they can reach it. Mine eat hours after hatching.
i’m so afraid they can drown so i took out the adult water bucket from their house and just put little goslings waterer and feeder but now i’m worried the adults can’t get their bills in there . if i put a dog food bowl of water for them won’t the goslings swim in it lol. im going back in there after i lock up ducks and chickens ❤️

Back
Top Bottom