The Search for Superbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold or gave away almost everyone. I have Optimus Prime, his son Jazz, Horns and Wun Two. Have two mostly-Marans pullets, three white pullets, two CX, two turkeys, two chicks (Polish mix and Coronation EE), and a pair of white Silkies (smallest guy stayed because nobody wanted to buy him--even though he was probably the best quality one of the group).

Thinking of renaming Wun Two to Starscream because he crows all the time and so he would fit in with my other Transformers guys... but that might make Horns a Megatron.

Horns and Jazz have the more level tail carriage of Sumatra which is pretty but kind of impractical. They're both growing into fine young roosters. Haven't heard them crow, but the other two are more than making up for their silence. Ever since I gave David Bowie to a friend, OP has been crowing all the time.

Been getting a lot of visits from a handsome duckwing game mix. Wouldn't mind adopting him in some ways. OP has been pretty quick to show the interloper who's boss here, and the other guy doesn't seem to have much fight in him. He's a wily little thing. I'm not sure if he actually belongs to anyone. Someone lets their chickens roam the neighborhood further down the street, and the games are always hatching out babies, which are pretty much feral. He might have just gotten kicked out of the flock because there are too many guys in it. Dunno.

Kind of wonder what the market for meat Silkies would be like.

Kind of wonder what the market for meat Silkies would be like.
Do you have any Asian markets around? If so, I would ask them if they would be interested in your birds. They may even be willing to buy live birds and process themselves. Asians have a thing about black chicken meat, they believe that it's got something medicinal in it.

I've heard that they have fibromelanistic meat birds, but I'm not sure if trees market enough here. If so, I'd gladly start crossing little Silkie roo over some CX pullets, and maybe throw in Wun Two later. Love the urea of making a blue egg laying, blue earlobed, fibro breed.

Wow, autocorrect really botched the above post, and for whatever reason, BYC isn't letting me edit it.

Starscream inherited his dad's ear-splitting, round-the-clock crow, so he might have to go bye-bye. Horns seems s mild enough mannered fellow, despite his devilish good looks. Jazz is lovely but in the rapacious phase.

Two probable pullets turned out to be guys. The Polish-Marans needs a hew home because he's a teeny tiny rapacious jerk. The other is a Coronation EE and shaping up to be a big, fluffy, sweet, chatty fellow. Might have to keep him anyway. Like the blue egg genes that he and Starscream likely carry, but Starscream's crow is too much for this suburban neighborhood.

Much as I don't want to, I may find Optimus Prime a new home like the pretty genes, but he's crowing all the time since David Bowie found a new home. Jazz has most of his daddy's good features (nice dual purpose suze, huge chest, lovely proportions and feathering, pretty face), and I'm sure he's going to age into a chivalrous guy like his dad once there aren't so many guys around.

Debating on getting out of larger fowl and sticking to some bantams, maybe starting over and doing things "the right way" when I've got money and a decent incubator. Thinking Breda and Legbars would be a good way of getting combless crele, clean shanked birds. Defeats part of the point of this project, but it would be more efficient.

Battling a lot of health problems, family issues, school finances... If life was a toilet, mine's being flushed.

Paternal grandfather or grandmother was a Coronation Sussex. Think it would phenotypically termed a lavender Colombian (which is a term originally used to describe Wyandottes at the Colombian exposition in the 1800's, if I'm not mistaken. Blame Queen Victoria for starting the "hen craze."). This particular EE has a Coronation Sussex/Lavender Orpington dad and a lavender partridge EE mom, but phenotypically, he's Coronation with some creamy bleed in his hackles and saddles.

Going to have to get some pictures up. Took a bunch a couple weeks ago, but didn't get them posted on this thread.

Paternal grandfather or grandmother was a Coronation Sussex. Think it would phenotypically termed a lavender Colombian (which is a term originally used to describe Wyandottes at the Colombian exposition in the 1800's, if I'm not mistaken. Blame Queen Victoria for starting the "hen craze."). This particular EE has a Coronation Sussex/Lavender Orpington dad and a lavender partridge EE mom, but phenotypically, he's Coronation with some creamy bleed in his hackles and saddles.

Going to have to get some pictures up. Took a bunch a couple weeks ago, but didn't get them posted on this thread.

Coronation is not a color. Many people have no idea what a Coronation Sussex was, and that what people see today are recreations. The term coronation was used for a reason. I doubt an EE would be used for a Coronation.

Coronation Sussex were a specific color which was recreated. Same with Victoria's Jubilee Orpingtons (which are basically speckled Sussex, and not the same color as other "Jubilee" breeds, like Cornish). Colombian Wyandottes were a specific color shown at a specific specific event, yet many breeds not present at that event are commonly referred to as "Colombian". Lots of breeds have special color names. Dark Cornish are not the same as Dark Brahmas, for instance.

Coronation is simply being used as highly informal shorthand for the color here as Coronation Sussex are the only birds exhibiting that color in common usage. It's easier to say that lavender Colombian, which I've already discussed as yet another "brand name" phenotype term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom