The secret is out, I have indeed returned to the US...

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
England. Veni, Vidi, Voravi.

It was 'home' again for the holidays. True to expectations, I got a horrible cold from the airplane flight. I had it the entire trip and now I still am suffering. I think we didn't have time to rest properly and now are suffering the consequences.

This trip was solely dedicated to eating, in retrospect. I had rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, liver and all other forms of creepy English food which gives most Americans nightmares. Now that I have a farm, though, I see where the traditions come from and why it's important to eat the entire beast, from nose to tail, rather than cherry-picking the tenderloins and t-bones because it's what we prefer. It's at least what we think we prefer, since most are too squeamish to be adventurous.

I also got to go on a pheasant hunt, which was new to me. It seemed to me that the beasts outperformed the humans and a vast majority got away.

It was wonderful to see family again. Part of me, though, always had my mind here worrying about the animals and fencelines needing fixed. You can never leave a farm, at least, not without some bad consequences.

I lost one ewe lamb who broke her leg jumping in and out of the cow feeder. Another did the same thing and also has a badly injured leg. From all the stress she dropped a little lamb yesterday, probably a week premature. A goose and duck were also eaten by something while we were gone.

If you want to be "always there" when the animals need you,t hen you can never leave your driveway. So, it's a hard price to pay going on holiday. Then again, I guess it still could have happened if we were here.

Regardless, it's back to work, once I can stand the cold air on my lungs. We'll have lambs and kids starting as early as next week, and we have yet to set up our jugs.

So, here I am at a proper "local butcher":

The wifey and I in front of York Minster:

I have an off the wall question. Would you preffer to live there or here in the states? I ask because the more I see of the U.K. on travel shows (I watch them all the time and dream of travel), the more I think I'm living in the wrong area of the world. What is your take on life there vs here? If you don't mind my asking... oh and welcome back, sorry you are ill!

Quote:
Apparently the avian flu for as poorly I am.
hmm.png

Welcome home neighbor. I have visited England and loved it so much that if I beleived in reincarnation(Which I don't) I would have thought that I was once a englishman, er.. woman that is. It is so darn beautiful and I loved every bit of it. The big city and the countryside. From the time I was a kid I have loved antiques and all things old timey. England just seemed "to fit" with me.

Were you born there? (if that is not too personal)

You are also braver than I. I did not eat anything to weird over there. I don't like organ meats or tails or hooves.

Sorry you brought back a cold and you lost a sheep. Hopefully the baby lamb will rally. One really is tied to a farm. Literally.

Take it easy and have some-dare I say it?-Chicken soup. Bawk bawk.
yippiechickie.gif

Welcome back and glad you had fun! Sorry you got the lergy though!

Try and make it up to Scotland next time. You won't regret it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
We both feel like "tweeners", torn between the two places.

We certainly will move to the UK at some point in our lives. The question is really will we stay there forever?

We have so much more potential here in the US to make money and acquire the funds required to buy a smallholding over there. But the more we do our farming here, the deeper we are setting our roots making the eventual move more difficult.

I absolutely and utterly love England. It has always felt like 'home' to me as much as here in Washington. If money was no object, we would very likely be there today. I'd also probably be down in an archeological tench with a trowel spending the rest of my life farming and exploring history.

Back
Top Bottom