the sultan thread

I had this happen to me 36 years ago and I can still feel that loss and devistation of that day. I am so sorry you had to suffer this. Sorry about taking so long to offer my hugs for the loss of those babies to Jharper

Last edited:
My girls are doing well. They've recently become so much more friendly, I have to accredit their hair cuts?? They all gather around me and I can pet them without them running away. They jump on me when it's feeding time, so bad I have to scoop out their food up high so I can do my work, LOL. They're starting to jump on the roost a bit, but not really using it still...

I got 4 eggs yesterday and today, it seems to have become the average though I did get 8 in one day once, LOL. One from each bird, so I know they're all laying. The eggs are small, but slowly growing in size from ... er... large Serama size (pretty tiny) to "small" egg size :)

For the amount they eat, which really isn't much, I'd have to say they're not too un-economical. I started off really wanting Sultans, then wasn't too impressed with them, as they were so skittish etc... but now at 6 1/2 months of having them, their true beauty is really coming out! I'm falling in love again!
love.gif

My 1 year old girl lays eggs that are the largest of my bantam eggs! They are the size of pullet eggs from my LF flock.

I am 95% sure my juvenile sultans are in fact a trio! This makes me a very happy camper :D. They're getting moved out to the shop today, have been weaned off heat, and spend all day in their little A-frame tractor I built. My rooster is very handsome, and the two little girls should be just as beautiful as Jazzy <3

Picked up this four month old sultan, Pru, free off Craigslist a couple days ago. Here's Salty showing him around his new home. :D

Oh yes, Salty is a year-old silkie and king of the coop. They're getting along just fine, Pru gets really curious to see how the mating dance works, but runs over to me to be picked up when startled. As of now they either roost next to each other or with the favorite hen between them, a splash cochin bantam (who is second to last in the pecking order) that both have a fancy for.

I wonder how things will turn out when Pru matures into a full size sultan rooster..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom