the sultan thread

Hee hee hee, yes, kiaa, he looks so adorable, and giving such a funny look to us!
wee.gif

OlivesMama Nuggie has awesome thick muffs and beard, and you can see the crest is really thick. I have a few girls that good, but others are a bit thinner (better for seeing though, LOL)
love.gif

Good, get out there, Maligator, I wanna see pictures!!!
celebrate.gif

fl.gif
Hokankai, I hope it stays that way for you! I think at 10 weeks, you'd see a distinct amount of red starting up??

Let us know if they find there way to roost, fishnet! Are your's trimmed up so they can see better?

Cluck-cluck when did Charlie's comb really start to grow and redden? I checked their foreheads today and they all still have small pink "v"s for now. When do the horns start to get big?

Last edited:
The horns seem to continue to grow, so far into their 7th month... but mostly by the 6th month. I think I could tell by 10 weeks. They were crowing also well before that. Beware that light coming in from behind the flesh of the comb can make it seem red, and some girls even had a pink tinge, but at 10 weeks, I could see a distinct redness in my boys. It's easier though if you have a bunch of them, because then you can compare and see two distinct groups of birds, boys n girls.

Wait, scratch that, I took pictures when they were less than a month old, and could tell. My memory sucks, LOL. So you should see it by 4 weeks, I think :)

I had two boys that I was absolutely sure of, and I rehomed them early. So far all 3 look the same, and I have another cockerel is head who is head honcho. Tricky little buggers!

I checked over all of my baby sultans yesterday while I was out working on the coop and I can already tell that I have a male (YAY). The others have no horns forming at all and one has nubs (so maybe another cockerel?). Exciting!

Pictures are coming, I am just tending to a sick dog and a sick polish at the moment so haven't had time.
hide.gif

My little surprise Sultan is almost certainly a boy. His cochin siblings have begun picking on him Making me worry about what to do with him.My other small coop had a japanese with her 3 crossed bred chicks in it. She was not accepting of the sultan being in her coop. Then my son came and took all my japanese to his house but left the babies here, they went into a blue funk and quit eating for several days, just sitting in a huddle. White hen & white sultan so I put him in with the babies and he ran to them said something in chicken then headed to the feeder. Thank goodness it worked they have offcially adopted each other. Haven't posted in awhile so thought to share Lorax's story at this point in his life.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom