the sultan thread

So cute!
big_smile.png

We bought these two cuties for our granddaughters first 4-H project, they were at our local farm store in the polish crested bin. We realized right away they weren't polish because of the extra toe and until a few days ago we were thinking silkie. That didn't seem right either so I posted them in the "what are these thread and within minutes.....Sultans!
We have wide bodies gals and are not familiar with little pretties like this pair.
I would really like to know, from a better eye than mine, the gender of these two. I have an idea, but am in no way sure.
They were hatched march 28, 2013 which would make them about 10 1/2 weeks old.
Omelette is smaller of the two seems softer, is dominate at this point and her tail stands up straight most of the time like a commercial aircraft tail. Yolkie Ono on the other hand is larger, has been since the 2nd week, had feathering issues between 2 & 6 weeks(slow to feather and bald spots), seems "hen pecked" as omelette fusses over his hair a lot during the day. He abides by the attention. Yolkie has always had what appeared to be bleeding around his beak which of course is only coloring, an has a head start with a bit of a comb appearing last week or so. Oh, and has rediculously lond foot feathers.
OK, break it to me.
Another thing.. Bantum or standardized. How to tell?
Thank you in advance for any help you can send our way
[/URL]
Oh, they're very pretty! Unfortunately, I have no records on size as mine were growing up :( So I think you'll just have to wait until they're grown enough to see if they've passed the size of bantams or not. However, my bantams are definitely on the heavy size. Charlie is over 2 lbs, I think (I'd have to weigh him, it's been a while, LOL)
My husband who really does not care for my chickens has now got a glimmer of affection for Victoria!!!
How can anyone resist?!?! She is beautiful!

Sultans are hard to resist! :)

I have good news! I am almost certain, now, that I have 2 females and 1 male out of my 3 new babies! They are just getting to the point where the pink skin is beginning to show some color. Raja spends a lot of time with them, too. It's very cute, I think she realizes that they are her "peeps". :p They are getting a bit friendly. They still wont eat from my hands, but are beginning to realize that I bring food. Today they crawled across my shoes and scratches/pecked at the ground right next to me without freaking out, even when I moved. Yay, progress!
They do seem to take a little time to warm up to humans for some reason as chicks, but then they become so tame! I'm still surprised my girls are so sweet. Charlie is still a spazzoid though. I wonder if the fact that he doesn't live with them for a long time now, has allowed them to calm down? I dunno?? LOL

hokankai, so sorry I missed the hatching cam, been busy! those are always so fun :)

I know, how COULD you resist this????? She just follows him around like a little puppy dog. Oh heck, she will follow me around like that. If you are not careful you will step on her. WOW. you should see how bold and brave she is geting! She is challenging the other girls big time now. Puffs out that chest, holds her neck up high - stretches it out like theres no end and lord and masters over the other 5 girls. She has started to give the big girls looks as well. Ohhhhh Toria...... I love you SOOOOO much you little booger.

DH had no clue what to do about this.....

" Nope, dont see nuthin here.. nuthing near my feet. Nope."

" Hey! dont take my picture! I will not admit to the world that I MIGHT and I said MIGHT like her"

lol.. this was a HUGE breakthrough for my hubby. Get this one, now brace yourself here.... He picked her up and held her. Actually petter her while he held her. HOLY COW I HAVE CONVERTED HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Where did all of your Sultans come from? We got ours as a surprise from the feed store (they thought it was a light brahma) but as soon as I saw the 5 toes I knew it wasn't. We're thinking of getting another flock to fill up one of our empty coops and we've totally fallen in love with the surprise sultan we got (and so has everyone else!) so I'm thinking we might get some more next spring! Just not sure where.
We got ours from a local feed store. She was labeled as a Polish and I got her back when I didn't know anything about chickens!

Back
Top Bottom