the sultan thread

I'm having trouble posting a new thread. I hope I'm on the sultan thread.

I have a pair of sultans, hen and Roo about a year and a half old.
I WORRIED. My little hen is frequently puffing herself up, opening her tail feathers into ful triangle ( a sultan thing?) and is screeching . Not often but from time to time. She is eating and drinking regularly and layed an egg yesterday (she is an abnormally good layer for a sultan 5/6 weekly) so I doubt she is egg bound. Historically she is a worm junkie... She's a good forager considering she is at the bottom of the pecking order. She and her mate co-habitate with 4 other large bodied hens. She is just not acting normal.
Please.. Any wisdom welcome

Last edited:
I'm having trouble posting a new thread. I hope I'm on the sultan thread.

I have a pair of sultans, hen and Roo about a year and a half old.
I WORRIED. My little hen is frequently puffing herself up, opening her tail feathers into ful triangle ( a sultan thing?) and is screeching . Not often but from time to time. She is eating and drinking regularly and layed an egg yesterday (she is an abnormally good layer for a sultan 5/6 weekly) so I doubt she is egg bound. Historically she is a worm junkie... She's a good forager considering she is at the bottom of the pecking order. She and her mate co-habitate with 4 other large bodied hens. She is just not acting normal.
Please.. Any wisdom welcome
as a kid I had a hen that did that kinda and my grandpa told me it was to make herself look bigger to the other's. She wasn't a sultan. She was smaller then the other's and they would pick on her from time to time. May be kinda the same thing?

if you don't mine hatchery birds efoul has sultan chick's. But you have to buy in I think 15 @ almost $4 each. I found my eggs on ebay. $10 for 6 eggs shipped to me. The parents look pretty good. But not seeing them there you never know.

I got mine from Privett's as part of the assorted bantams. Doesn't seem their website is totally working today....

There are ten sultan eggs for $16 buy it now or $11 starting bid plus shipping on ebay right now. They are coming out of brooksville Florida

Help?
My baby Sultan is nearly one week 2 days old.

It has a problem with pooping. It dries isn't an tangy and sticks to her vent and down. No parasites, yay, but, she is soon much smaller than her hatch mate.

Of course I don't really know of she is a she, but still.

I don't know of she is in pain or not. She had a poop, solid, hard, white. Can't tell if it is a healthy poop or not.

Here is a pic of her little, tiny butt. Do I take her back to the vet, or continue with the vetricyn treatment?

Back
Top Bottom