the sultan thread

Oh, I just read the post about your little one you lost . So sorry:( anyone have advice in prevention of pasty butt, or is it just something that happens sometimes?

It happens. If folks watch for it and clean booties when they see it, it is not a big deal. Obviously, it can be deadly. The brooder light heat is a huge contributor; higher heat = higher liklihood of paste. They need a place to go that's out of direct light; fresh water, and I always give yogurt.

It does not need to be hugely problematic. I check butts several times a day and clean every single time I see anything questionable.

Mavis is wonderful - we bought her at a small animal swap meet at the co-op & she was being sold because the kids couldn't show her in 4-H as her head feathers had been plucked off by other chickens in the flock. Their loss has been our gain - she has become a delightful pet, is smart & so funny. Now we are looking for more so she has companionship, so if anyone knows where we can buy one or 2, we'd be very interested. As you can see, Mavis is growing her pretty head feathers back:)

To be honest I think a broody is the best way to go. I had 5 eggs to start with, but a couple didn't make it. They seem to be touchy to hatch, and the last one hat hatched was an egg I thought was no good. I left it a little longer under my silkie hen and it managed to hatch. The other two were in the incubator. The first one was alone for a few days before the second finally hatched out.

I think that some breeds are easier in the incubator and I think some breeds are just better with a broody momma.

Thanks! Now that it's July, I'm hesitant to go for hatching any new chicks, as this past winter was brutal and I'm afraid it would be hard to acclimate youngsters no matter how sheltered the habitat I could provide. I'm hoping to find some Sultans at Fair time - sometimes the 4H kids will sell once the ribbons are awarded. Mavis needs to have a companion, and I'd like to minimize the risk of her getting her head feathers pecked out like they were at her former home - hopefully "chickens of a feather" won't be so plucky! Am I realistic in hoping head feather plucking is less likely when the breeds are not mixed in the flock?

Back
Top Bottom