the sultan thread

Hi

I have 2 sultans they get dirty feet and on their feathers how did you keep hector so clean and white.

Thanks

Mavis gets messy when it's muddy, but she cleans up real nice in wet grass after it rains. Then I just do my best to keep her bedding clean & dry. There's a "how to clean your chicken" thread on this site somewhere, but it involves dipping the bird in water - I'd think you'd have to have a bird that's used to being held to do that or they'd have to hate that & it's just as easy to let her run around in the grass after it rains :)

This is Sully! Don't know the sex yet, but it's about 3 weeks old!

It's hatch mate didn't make it.

Sully is adorable!!! Congratulations - sorry you lost the sibling - please post more pics as Sully grows up!
Still looking for companions for Mavis... Did you buy fertilized eggs, or were you lucky enough to get a chick from one of your own hens?

Sully is adorable!!!  Congratulations - sorry you lost the sibling - please post more pics as Sully grows up!
Still looking for companions for Mavis... Did you buy fertilized eggs, or were you lucky enough to get a chick from one of your own hens?

Thanks. I will post more as I can. This one was hard. I think "he" was scared.

I bought them at a poultry swap. My fertilized eggs didn't hatch. :(
They were my first sultans.

I am trying to hand tame the babies, but, they hate me.

Last edited:
There's a huge poultry swap in Portage, WI in September - it's an international thing - but I don't know if I can wait that long!! Sultans are so cool - those babies will come around! They love to be talked to.

Thanks. I will post more as I can. This one was hard. I think "he" was scared.

I bought them at a poultry swap. My fertilized eggs didn't hatch. :(
They were my first sultans.

I am trying to hand tame the babies, but, they hate me.

I have noticed that when they are little they run, but I've got a couple that are about 2 months old and they come running when I open the coop door to see them. They love to be pet and talked to.

I sure hope so. Right now Sully is in a brooder with Puffin. A white crested blue Polish.

They both adore my daughter, but, they don't like when I hold them.

Mavis' best friend was a white crested black Polish, Miss Hattie, until a dog killed her. That was a heartbreaker . I hope your two discover lots of bugs together:) the Polish was lots friendlier than the Sultan, which may have bee why she was picked off.

Back
Top Bottom