the sultan thread

I have six sultan eggs that just went into lockdown last night. I'll keep you guys updated with the hatch. They also have two vorverk eggs to be hopefully hatching with them, there are 2 5 day old light Sussex that they will be brooded with.

How do sultans in the UK compare to those in America? I know our American stock comes originally from the Uk but I'm curious how time might have changed them.

I don't know! These are photos from the seller;

I hope no one minds me butting in. I don't have Sultans and have never owned one. I do have a friend that use to have LF Sultans. She loves them and said the were the sweetest and smartest birds she ever had. Do you all agree with this?

Ooh I like that Rooster RonoKT, lol wish mine was as nice looking!

@gootziecat Sultans are fantastic pets! Mine are all large fowl sultans and I recently took my pullet to the high school for a class on genetics. I figured since sultans have such amazing and in your face features that showing a hen would be great for the lecture. The kids loved it. During the lecture when I was not pointing out things Flossy would just wander the classroom as calm as could be. She did seem to have a special attraction to sparkly sandal straps but luckily only one student was wearing that! The young ladies in the class just Ooohed and ahhhed over her and flipped her upside down like a baby to give her cuddles. Even the teacher, who it turns out was terrified of all types of birds, was picking Flossy up by the end of the day. I'd never have another "main" type of chicken. I am a total Sultan lover and think everyone should have at least one of these beautiful and amazing birds in their flock.

I live in a small town and it's heavy in ag and farming but yet many, way more than I expected, kids did not realize that chickens could be so ornamental or friendly.

Due hour in 2 hours, one pip so far. Due to my incompetence there was a cool down of unknown length during incubation, everyone continued to develop but I don't know how long they may be delayed. Without wanting to count my chickens.. Hopefully will have some chick photos soon(ish) (I'm going to try not to stay up late into the night watching eggs rocking)

They're funny looking before they fluff up! Your avatar chick is much cuter with it's puffy little cheeks. I was really surprised to see how fluffy the legs are already, I don't think my other feather legged chicks have had so much leg down at hatch. Do sultana have WAY more leg feather than silkies and marans?

Back
Top Bottom