the sultan thread

@yellowherb
I think Sultans are adorable and honestly, I was looking for either size. I just want healthy ones. I have 9 of 13 left in the incubator and today is day 14. I will candle tonight. After my devastating loss with the Salmon Favs, I am not feeling too confident anything will hatch. I would love it if you could ship some live chicks if you have any (about 5)! Let me know. It's hard to find Sultans!

With my incubator down, waiting on parts, I'm not even sure of fertility of mine plus I've been using a rooster who isn't pure. My younger pure is also tagging the hens but I can not guarantee I have pure eggs right now.

I have ordered from Ideal Hatchery before. I only ordered the standard sized. I eventually whittled down the 13 I bought to my 4 best out of chicks and then went further and only kept two of what I ordered. I have some fairly high expectations.

Ideal is great to order from if you are not looking to show and aren't loaded with $$. They have a $25 minimum but not a chick number minimum. Shipping is very reasonable and the 1/4 box fee. I just priced standards and for 9 delivered it's $34 plus change. The bantams are a little higher priced. Using my address they would ship on 9/14. Both times I ordered and if it said 9/14 the post office would be calling at 6:30am on 9/15 saying I had chicks.

I ordered twice from them this year and had 100% survival rate.

I might go that route if I can't find someone to sell me non hatchery chicks. I have time to wait. My Sultans are due to hatch next weekend. Crossing fingers and toes since I lost all my eggs from my first try at incubating another breed I'm hoping to breed...Salmon Favorelles.

Here are two of my Ideal sultans that I kept. I can't tell you my criteria for which ones I kept and which I sold on, since I don't know myself. I just picked the ones who I thought would be hens and ones I liked best and ones who had toenails! They aren't show quality, but overall they are not too bad. I thought they would be terrible since they had no head vaults as chicks.

Here's Qtip and Cottonball.

Qtip is my favorite of the two, cottonball is a bit shy.

They're actually quite cute! I might go that route if none of my eggs make it. I'm praying the last 5 make it past Lockdown and hatch! Saturday can't come soon enough!
Honestly, I'm done with shipped eggs for now. If I have a successful hatch of at least 20% I would be soooo happy.
Yes, that equates to 2 chicks per hatch. Sad that I've set my hopes so low.

Shipped eggs.. Just a huge gamble. I know sometimes there is no choice for rare breeds or quality chickens, but with occasional 100% loses it's heartbreaking and expensive.

With the sultans I got from Ideal, the chicks had no skull vault (bump on the skull). They looked like normal yellow fluffy chicks and nothing like my avatar chick. I was very disappointed in them at first. My chicks are born with vaults, so that's what I expected.

The plus side of no vaults is less chick deformity. I have had some born deformed with missing eye or severe cross beak. There's genetic diversity for ya! Which is why I'm using a outcrossed Roo.

Qtip and Cottonball have just started laying. I got them early March. Their eggs are a nice size considering they are only about 4lb pullets. They are mostly mating with my Milton (D'uccle x sultan) Roo, but occasionally my young sultan roo gets to them. Hoping my turner parts get here soon for the incubator. I set 2 dozen eggs from mostly the Ideal girls and my crossed pullet Ugly. There were a few eggs from my older girls who are molting which I put in too. But all should be from these two young roosters and I can't wait to see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom