the sultan thread

I finally have some chicks. It's been rough with the sultan hens molting but Ugly has laid me lots of eggs along with the very occasional sultan egg from one of the pullets.

Ugly is 1/2 sultan and 1/2 Mille Fleur D'uccle. Her mom is sultan. She only has 4 toes :( She's brown and greyish black and lives up to her name.
Milton is the dad and he's 1/2 Mille Fleur D'uccle and 1/2 sultan, but his mom is the Mille Fleur. He's fully equipped with all sultan features but he's lightly splashed with black spots.

Ugly and Miltons first couple of eggs have hatched (yah!). They look like twins, which I did not expect since I figured they may be this color or that color, nothing set in stone much less looking anything alike. Only one has 5 toes :( Both are black and yellow, mostly black with yellow wings, yellow spot on the nose area above the beak and yellow feet and bellies.

A sultan hen egg just hatched, 2 more waiting to hatch. It's also with Milton as the father (unless Charlie chicken(young pure sultan) managed to get a good top in on one). It has a head vault :) wasn't expecting that since it's a outcross with 1/2 father. While it's not dry yet, it does appear to have black fluff mixed with the yellow...Not sure how that's going to grow out. But YAH for the future. Chicks to watch and enjoy.

* that's not a beak deformity on the black chick. It has a mottled beak so the black blends with the incubator background and makes it look weird.
Creamy eggs are Ugly eggs. I love their color but as you can see they are not as white as a true sultan egg.

Disclaimer, Ugly and Milton are a side project for colored Sultans.
Congrats! cant wait to see them grow up!

A shocking surprise was a sultan hen egg hatching out a silver and yellow chick! She's very silver compared to lightly silvered I have had before. The egg comes from my best (favorite) sultan hen Flossy.

I've also had one white or possibly the one with the black butt spot hatch from a Ugly egg. I have seen one chick with missing toenails :( No idea how that happened other than a hen's fault since both of my roosters have perfect toenails.

Chick total is currently 10. There are more in the incubator to go..Yippee. I've missed my babies

Updated pics of my Sultan x EE projects. No eggs yet.

I am really liking #2, she has many of the traits I was looking for when I started this.... Profuse feathering, interesting colour, slate legs, 5 toes, calm temperament, feathered legs, and good health. Don't know what colour egg she lays, but based off her pea comb she has a good chance of blue/green. I do want a bit more crest and vulture hocks tho.

#1 isn't as good from a perspective of what I'm going for, but she is the sweetest hen I have ever raised, and has gained "special pet" status.

Well, good news and bad news. That's always the way it goes.
Good news, my hens are laying fantastically after their molt. I'm getting 4 pure sultan eggs nearly every day and 1 -1/2 sultan egg daily. My two old hens are not laying but they never were regular. I have about 30+ sultan and mixed sultan chicks. I have some splash sultans and a little black roo with white feet and wing tips. He's neat looking.

The size of the eggs the girls are giving me is large to X large. I'm using a young pure rooster who's a tall guy and very gangly looking. He's much taller but not as full bodied as the hens. I'm not sure if this is the fact he's only about 6 months old or if he's just built that way. He does a better job fertilizing than any roo I've used before. My backup roo is even younger, but he has issues. He's got a great hairdo but terrible toes. Both are from my hens but with different fathers. Gamma, the backup is a stodgy bodied roo, very broad breasted. When he finishes maturing he's going to be a sight. I think he's going to be beautiful and very well formed (other than the toes urghh) My backup roo will have to be rehomed because he has bad toenails. But I plan to use a roo chick from my half sultan hen as a backup in the future, IF any turn out to be a good size and form.

Bad news
We had a cold snap and the chicks love to pile on top of each other in their brooder coop. They sleep in their feed bowl which is a large flat tin with shallow sides. They managed to OFF the youngest chicks which included my favorite of the colored ones, AFTER I rehomed the rooster who was throwing them :( They have a brooder light which is very warm and no reason for them to sleep piled up and they have plenty of area to leave the light if it gets to be too much. I've since moved the feed bowl into the shadowed area of their coop house to try to force them not to pile up.

My blasted incubator turner broke...AGAIN. Entirely my fault for trying to stuff too many extra large eggs into it. It just fell forward and stripped the motor gears and of course we had not ordered a spare. With the Christmas holiday fast approaching and the motors coming from china (no one has them in the states), I can bet that I will not get them until sometime in late Jan. With my luck the girls will quit laying by then.

I'm still fighting the toenail issue in chicks.

Back
Top Bottom