the sultan thread

I agree with DwayneNLiz. Silkies have a bigger niche in the market than sultans. People generally know what silkies are and will look for them as a pet or broody. Sultans on the other hand, not a lot of people know what they are. You would not believe how many people ask me if I eat my sultans or their eggs, right after I get finished telling them it's a pretty rare chicken!

As far as the pedigree on a chicken goes, there isn't one as such, from what I understand. If it looks like a sultan, acts like a sultan, has all the features of a sultan..then it's a sultan (insert any variety in for sultan). I can see a use for a Sulkie or Siltan :) But as a yard ornament or to people who are trying to add to the sultan bloodline. There's no real purpose like a meat bird or egg layer just due to the size(assuming you have bantams). Now if you are line breeding and trying to improve either breed as a "pure" bred chicken, then you do have some purpose to the birds but it's still going to be mostly yard ornaments or possibly show birds later down the line.

Any chicken that is not a production breed for eggs or meat tend to either be for show or as a ornament. A lot of people will not spend the money to feed a chicken who isn't providing back for them. So I do not see Sulkie's taking off.. I do breed my sultans and I cross breed them too. I have a ultimate purpose in mind and that's for colored sultans who lay better and are broody. My out crossing is also (I hope) making my future sultans more hardy than they currently are by increasing the gene pool. If you have a reason for what you are doing, even if it doesn't make sense to anyone but yourself, carry on :) Just enjoy your chickens.

Welcome to BYC!!

Now to answer the question, do I eat my sultans or their eggs. Nope. I hatch each and every egg they lay. My old hens are just pretty girls who have no purpose other than to make my eyes happy. When the roosters start crowing at 3am I am tempted to give one a nice taste test though.

Thank you for your input, as diverse opinions matter. I'm breeding purebred Sultans as well and I love this breed. Im currently awaiting for my new Sultan rooster. The silkie cross was merely an experiment that produced beautiful results. Whats so weird is do date I have not yet produced a Sulkie roo. I guess they may be going by another name, but I'm unaware. If I'm wrong please tell me what others have referred to this cross. It's an interesting hybrid that offers the best of both worlds. The plan is to continue as I'm looking to create future varieties of color, but the next F2 white generation is on hold until a roo is produced. Until then I'm not sure what traits will arise. I'm guessing white, five toes, and hard feathered. Skin color is in question and yet to be discovered...any bets? My birds are my life as I have over 200, from standards, Banties, and various breeds. My rooster count is currently 25... They get a bad rap and when conditions allow this boys deserve better. My husband and I try. We look forward to many more discussions on this wonderful site.

So odd you have not had a roo yet. I seem to produce 70% roo's from my sultan crosses but the hawks have helped skew my odds I think. Maybe my roos are better or quicker to hide than the pullet chicks.

Silkies were a obvious cross choice with sultans, and I thought about it, a lot :) I still may do it one day, especially if I can get a showgirl silkie..can you imagine?! That would be one seriously odd sultan, but gorgeous I think. My neighbor has a gorgeous BIG white silkie roo. I've often thought of taking a few of my hens down to him for fertilizing. His roo is as big as my standard sultans. I've held back on silkies just due to the size, I like larger sultans and my next cross (when they mature) will be with standard cochins(hens, the roos would flatten my girls)

From what I've seen of my neighbors silkie crosses to other chickens, the legs should remain dark or slate. I'm unsure of the comb color but I'll guess it could go 50/50. I had some of my neighbors crosses and some had dark combs, some had red combs.

I keep a running line of pure sultan hens, switching out my roo's on occasion. I have one 1/2 hen who is my experiment and mother of my current crosses. She's half d'uccle(mille fleur) and is red and grey. She produces mostly white or splash chicks with a rare occasional colored chick. I have two colored chicks right now, 1 is barred and from it's color it's a rooster chick. Not sure about the second one gender yet but I am hoping for the best...probably another rooster. I also have a couple of splash older pullet chicks I kept and one black one with silver hackles, pullet too. It has a dark comb which come from I do not know where!! Mom has a red comb as does the sultan dad.

I found some small eggs with a little blood on them. I think Nellie is laying! Most of the girls are having a winter break but I found 3 eggs from Nellie at once and Qtip lays 4-5 eggs a week still. Can't wait to check Nellies eggs for development. I'm pretty sure her mom is Flossy, my most beautiful girl.

Nelly

Young Flossy

Older Flossy

Doesn't Nelly look like Flossy?

I have two little silver half sultan chicks too. Their mom was a buff brahma mix and dad is Charlie my sultan roo. I got 1/1 and of course the roo has the 5 toes while pullet chick has 4 :( With luck they will make it to adulthood and join my sultan color project which I also hope to increase the size, broodiness and health of standard sultans. I'd like to see a 7lb sultan hen and 8lb rooster one day.

Back
Top Bottom