the sultan thread

Last edited:
@fishnet1971 Your roo is so gorgeous! I'm jealous :)

My two roo's decided to try killing each other this morning. So I guess it's time for one to move on and I've separated out the oldest one to travel to a new home. Maybe things will be quieter with no more crow offs. They were making me batty and probably my neighbors too. I have a couple of beautiful young girls from Charlie so it's time to see what Gamma gives me. I'm trying to figure out which young rooster to keep and grow out for a replacement now since all excess will be making their way to auction on Saturday. I'm not 100% behind Gamma, he is missing one toenail.. But he's heavier and has a better poof than Charlie although he's a little bloody right now. I thought it was a massacre but it turns out Charlie just broke a foot feather and bled on Gamma.

I have several contenders for young roo replacement to Gamma. One is 3/4 sultan from Ugly, I like him just because he's a outcross and has perfect toenails..that pet peeve of mine again. Second is a son from Charlie who is a little older and is a pretty decent looking young man so far. His poof is no where near as nice as charlies girls poof and I'm not sure if that's just a roo thing but odds are he's going to take after Charlie and have a high updo sort of poof. It's not my favorite look. I like my roo's to look like rock stars from the 80's. I have a while yet to make my choice as the boys are growing. Charlies son already grabbed a young pullet yesterday and set his father and Gamma off after him. IF neither of those two young roo's work out I have a brooder of youngsters and all have really nice vaults. Some probably are Gammas offspring since he was doing whoopies with a few hens who would let him.

I have 3 pullets from Ugly who are a little colored. They do look like mongrels but technically are 1/2 to 3/4 sultan. It may be best for my future breeding goals to make sure I keep a pure roo.

Yellowherb- I know doesn't it look like they are bleeding to death when they break a blood feather!!!! OMG, I almost cried the first time I saw one broke. I keep blood stop powder on hand no matter what. LOL!!!!!!! You just keep up that breeding program!!!! Sultans rock. I still think they are the best bird in the world. So under rated. we need more, LOTS more in this world of them.

I keep trying to do my part on increasing the sultan population :) There's never a shortage of buyers when I do put some up for sale on craigslist.

Here's a blood feather pic that will make you faint, or nearly did me anyway! He's my special buddy and I nearly lost him as a chick several times, I even did mouth to beak on him once. So seeing this terrified me.

This is Doofy, my albino cockatiel. His wings were clipped and after he started spending time in the aviary and molting his flights back he was breaking them. I dreaded going outside each morning figuring I would find him bled out on the floor one day. I no longer clip wings on any bird. I had to pluck Doof's broken feather to stop the bleeding.

And now for sultan eye candy

Yummy greens. This is deer plot forage I grow for the birds and chickens to munch on.

The chickens really like the winter bulb mix, luckily for them the aviary birds not so much! (good deal at tsc recently)

One of Charlies young girls.

Qtip, Melikki, Nellie and now Ugly are laying again. Now I just have to get Flossy to join in! My incubator is full already. I really need to get Hubby to build me a BIGGER one.

I have 10 big chicks outside in a hoop coop brooder, another 12+ older chicks of sultans and sultan mix d'uccles running around the yard and my adults. It's starting to get a little crowded. Hubby is going to make me thin the flock soon :( That's always so hard to do!

Sultan babies. 2 in here are from a buff brahma mixed mother(little black butt in the center). I have one little boy and one little girl both look different than each other but silver or lavender for the boy(far right edge). There's also a mixed silkie chick in the picture and a little serama youngster.

Last edited:
WARNING Extreme POOF ahead

Gorgeous young pullet(s). little one is out of d'uccle mix hen(ugly). Excuse the state of the brooder/coop. The weather can't make up it's mind on hot or cold.

4 youngsters in the front were raised by broody Ugly, they are almost as big as her now.
Hen on the upper right is a IDEAL hatchery hen from last year.

Nellie, she makes me so gaga with her beauty. She's currently my largest girl and she's only a young pullet.

Last edited:
Ok Sultan lovers. I need to add some new blood to my flock. Where did you all get your standard sultans and do they have toenails?

Gamma is throwing out beautiful chicks...with missing toenails :( I know pullet egg hatching is bad, but I couldn't help it and hatched some chicks from Nellies first eggs. 2 of the 3 had deformed feet. The one who didn't have noticeable abnoralties is most likely offspring of Charlie who has been rehomed..Darn Gamma.

Last edited:
Ok Sultan lovers. I need to add some new blood to my flock. Where did you all get your standard sultans and do they have toenails?

Gamma is throwing out beautiful chicks...with missing toenails :(
Got mine from the local feed store, they were big, beautiful, and weren't missing a single nail. For some reason they were in the bantam bin, so you might wish to look in there... The roo I had was not bantam by any stretch of the imagination.

My local TSC's seem to get hoover hatchery chicks. The fanciest I ever found was a bantam white crested black polish :(

http://www.valleyhatchery.com/default.asp I ran across this site. I might order from here if my husband lets me. He's put his foot down right now since I have 2 brooders going, 2 coops of juveniles outside and my adult flock AND a full incubator of eggs.. Not all are sultans, but he's doing my chicken math for me since he's found I'm really terrible at it lol. So I'm going to have to do some heavy thinking this week and which ones need to go. Hate doing that!

Back
Top Bottom