the sultan thread

Guess what I found on the coop floor this morning...

Miss Coco Chanel's very first egg in her new home!

yippiechickie.gif

It's the white one on the far right of today's crop:

P1010629.jpg

This means she must finally feel at home!

wee.gif

We had a trio of sultans for awhile. The roo was mean and the hens were ditzy. They laid pretty well. One thing we couldnt get away from were the white earlobes, every sultan I have seen has had white earlobes. I think I saw someone in the SPPA with bantam black and blues, it was either there or in the Polish club. We crossed the sultan hens with a blue partridge silkie rooster we had and got all sorts of cool crosses and just sold them as mixes. A friend in Montana crossed a porcelain D'uccle with a sultan bantam hen and got tons of unexpected chicks. Which if you were going for a new color I would suggest the d'uccle, the main differences in the two breeds are the 5 toes and crest but the vulture hocks, leg color, beard is similar and it would only take a couple generations to get the crest back.

I love my little sultan, she is soooo sweet and funny!

She's show quality (red v-comb and ears) and since I don't have a sultan male, I'll get sultan x white silkie crosses next summer, they look awesome!

I feel very lucky to have Coco as an addition to our family
smile.png

DSC_0010-4.jpg

I cannot believe I just found this threat. Sharing pics of my girl!
wee.gif

Rosaline is on the right.
Newchicks21.jpg

In the middle now, a few weeks later. Still growing...

Rozz1.jpg

After she moved outside, she started getting broken crest feathering.

9w6.jpg

But the feathers were moulted and I prepared her for show. This is her a few days after her first bath. Ignore the stray feathers that show up on her.

MR1.jpg

My beautiful girl-

MR2.jpg

MR3.jpg

I took her to the NY State fair this summer. She took home Champion Largefowl and, being in 4-H, I also participated in Showmanship. She's my pal, and cooperated well with me. That day I also brought home 1st Place Showmanship. This is her the day after the show. She got a little dirty in the process...travel is messy.

070.jpg

Close up.
smile.png

069.jpg

Her fancy feet, showing the metal band that proves she received her health tests. To this day she still wears it proudly.

071.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at your Sultans, I think mine is a pullet. I am not seeing any kind of a comb. Just a little pink v shape. I will call her, Lulu-Lu-Li and not Louie.

Congrats on the egg. Yes, she must be happy now. I think she has to be singing, I Feel Good, as only James Brown could sing. She is so pretty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom