the sultan thread

Pics
Thanks Tikijane-
They are only 6 days old now, but i'm thinking that they are probably not Sultans. They definately have 4 toes, each bird, and though the one has a poof on it's head (the one with feathered feet and legs), there are no indications of vulture hocks whatsoever...just a really sparse line of feathering running down the legs on the outside, which continues down the outside toe.
Well, I guess I should just treat this as a learning experience! I got these little guys from the same girl that told me her silkie 2 day old chicks were 'show quality'.
This leads me to the conclusion that she should not be selling chicks if she really doesn't know what she is talking about!!

Thanks so much for the info and pics! Your little chickies are too cute!!!!

i got my 4 sultans today and they are 6 days old now and they have 5 toes are they surpposed to also could u guys take some pics of sultans so i can see some :)

i got my 4 sultans today and they are 6 days old now and they have 5 toes are they surpposed to also could u guys take some pics of sultans so i can see some :)

Zack, I have some updates to post at some point, but here are mine outside a few weeks ago:

Bottom left, of course. There are more pics here: https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/the-first-grand-adventure/

That was about 2 weeks ago. Here are some of their baby pics:

I need to get some recent pics, because their feathering is great.

In my avatar, my two are the yellows in the middle. Yes, they are supposed to have the 5 toes. Also, they have the vulture hocks, which are crazy. There are better shots of those on my blog, if you click on the pics. I've been really rotten with getting picture updates, but I need to, because I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a boy which means I'll have to rehome...............

Thanks Tikijane-
They are only 6 days old now, but i'm thinking that they are probably not Sultans. They definately have 4 toes, each bird, and though the one has a poof on it's head (the one with feathered feet and legs), there are no indications of vulture hocks whatsoever...just a really sparse line of feathering running down the legs on the outside, which continues down the outside toe.
Well, I guess I should just treat this as a learning experience! I got these little guys from the same girl that told me her silkie 2 day old chicks were 'show quality'.
This leads me to the conclusion that she should not be selling chicks if she really doesn't know what she is talking about!!

Thanks so much for the info and pics! Your little chickies are too cute!!!!
Probably a cochin of some kind? Silkies can have 4 toes every now and then, but they have the dark skin.......... (would have to go back and look at the pics again). Unless it's a really reputable breeder, I've been learning that there are *tons* of breeders (particularly silkie breeders) that really have no idea what they are doing. I was really hoping for some girls out of my two, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are both boys. Humph.
roll.png

Do you have current pics? I still love looking at pictures! LOL.

Last edited:
Zack, I have some updates to post at some point, but here are mine outside a few weeks ago:

Bottom left, of course. There are more pics here: https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/the-first-grand-adventure/

That was about 2 weeks ago. Here are some of their baby pics:

I need to get some recent pics, because their feathering is great.

In my avatar, my two are the yellows in the middle. Yes, they are supposed to have the 5 toes. Also, they have the vulture hocks, which are crazy. There are better shots of those on my blog, if you click on the pics. I've been really rotten with getting picture updates, but I need to, because I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a boy which means I'll have to rehome...............
love the sultans cant wait to work with this breed also know have buttercups and crevocours so more rare breeds to work along side my 50 so silkies
lau.gif

love the sultans cant wait to work with this breed also know have buttercups and crevocours so more rare breeds to work along side my 50 so silkies
lau.gif
And if you were closer, I'd be more than happy to donate to your cause, since I know at least one of them is going to have to be rehomed. Now, if you get close to the other border, I'd meet you.
gig.gif
If I had space and was zoned, I'd totally keep them.

And if you were closer, I'd be more than happy to donate to your cause, since I know at least one of them is going to have to be rehomed. Now, if you get close to the other border, I'd meet you.
gig.gif
If I had space and was zoned, I'd totally keep them.
i hear ya are u allowed to keep roosters or just have to many cause im in the same boat to

Quote: LOL
lau.gif
- those chicks turned out to be some kind of Polish Mutts!!!!! I love them though!! One of them mysteriously lost a leg. I posted about that a couple weeks back in the injury thread
hit.gif
. The little chickie is doing just fine though, and never figured out what happened, and never found the leg....very strange. I was thinking that it may get an infection and pass along, but it is doing great. I separated it out along with its hatchmate, and put them both back in with my smallest silkies (who i bought the same day, actually from the same girl). It even play-chest-bumps with its hatchmate.
The second 'Sultan/Polish Mutt' appears to be buff laced, and is coming along beautifully.....you know, the one with leg feathering.....
tongue.png

I gave that poor thing a couple of baths thinking it was dirty
gig.gif
Well, I have only had chickens of my own for about 4 months, since February, and am learning pretty quick.

I guess after DH gets a couple more pens built
hide.gif
I will have to go on the hunt for a sultan or 2....Real ones!
The good news is, that partridge silkie that I got from that girl is developing so beautifully, I can hardly stand it!!

How are your little sultan babes coming along?? Hopefully GREAT!!

This thread needs some revival so I'm gonna post pictures of Kathy Troxells Sultans to get you guys drooling over them as much as I am! I wish I could get Kathy Troxell's number or e-mail She has gorgeous black and white bantam Sultans!
droolin.gif

3%20sultans%20in%20pen.jpg

the%20trio%20of%20sultans%20I%20got%20from%20kathy.jpg
sultan_hen_and_rooster.jpg
I wold KILL FOR THESE!!!!!
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom