the sultan thread

Pics
Well, as you know, I've asked Ideal Poultry to check with the "farm people" if my Sultans are bantam or not, and they said there would be no way to know until they are at least 4 months old and to check with them at that time with current photos and weights. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me in my coop plans (lets face it, I'm stuck with what I got, right?) so anyway, this is interesting. I didn't know bantams started out the same size as standards. Is this always true?

bantams are always smaller as chicks and adults. the bantam chicks should not be the same size as any large foul chick. if they are the same size as large foul chicks then you have standard sultans instead of bantams....

I don't think you have bantams if they're as big as a LF chick.

Here's my sultan chick in my hand compared to a LF chick from 2 years ago. That's the size mine was when it was a baby and she's still little.

That sounds more normal. I'm going to consider these LF chicks, and design the coop accordingly. Too bad, as it means I probably can't keep as many as I wanted to... Oh well. Either that, or my Crevecoeurs are bantams too? But they said the have no bantam Crevecoeurs,so...?

At least I took an average of their weight, so I'll have an idea in the future of what I'm getting...

Last edited:
That's a possibility, but I don't know how big your chicks are so I'm going more towards LF birds, except for the fact that they couldn't vent sex them. If you don't have a true LF chick as a reference you might just have to wait and see. Either way, chances are 50% are going to be boys anyway so you probably won't be keeping them all anyway, haha

Exactly, and to be honest, the Crevecoeurs are already looking bigger now, and they're Just a week old. But the numbers don't seem so big, average Crevecoeur weight is 52 grams with largest being 60 grams and the Sultans weight is averaging 48 grams with the largest being 54 grams. Not a big difference, really, or doesn't seem so. Here's a picture of what I grabbed as visually largest of he two and smallest of each type:

That sounds heavier than mine was. I don't know what weight mine was, but my gecko is about 40 and it was definitely lighter than that I believe.

Either way, they're awesome birds so who cares? Haha

What are your plans for the roosters?

I would like to keep at least one. I'm planing on building a rooster box to keep in the house. Dark, soundproofed (with special vents I designed and hope will work) for night time. I want to keep one Creve roo as well. If they turn out to be super noisy, I won't be able to keep them as my neighbors will NOT be amused. I'm allowed one roo per city code, but who wants angry neighbors? I think they'll be fine if they're not too noisy and only during the day. The rest, I'm really hoping will be adopted by someone???

A lady did contact me regarding my other 3 roosters, that went to someone else. She wanted to add them to her petting zoo. Sultans would be excellent for a petting zoo, I think, so I'll contact her for certain. Hopefully she'll take some??

Last edited:
Well, I've tagged everyone with a color zip tie so I can tell them apart. Then I took full body and face portraits so I can have a record of what they were like as chicks. I'm going to try to take pictures once a week or so for record keeping, though I doubt I'll keep it up, even so that's my intention, LOL

Here's one of them:

Of course you realize this is just an excuse to put up pictures, right?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom