The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
It's a beautiful country, with a lot of history. Bonus points if you love swimming, and/or are a foodie
I love Greece, have been there many times for spring and summer vacations. Great historical sites, great beaches, super friendly people in most regions. And nice typical dishes in most regions. In general the food is very good on the main land, especially in the North of Greece.

Food was not alway good though.
The food on Mani was horrible. Didn’t like the people there either. I believe the word Maniak has its origin there?

Once I got really very sick from contaminated chicken souvlaki’s. Pinned me down for over a week in an appartement with sea view and a fantastic sweet landlady named Elena.

I love Greece, have been there many times for spring and summer vacations. Great historical sites, great beaches, super friendly people in most regions. And nice typical dishes in most regions. In general the food is very good on the main land, especially in the North of Greece.

Food was not alway good though.
The food on Mani was horrible. Didn’t like the people there either. I believe the word Maniak has its origin there?

Once I got really very sick from contaminated chicken souvlaki’s. Pinned me down for over a week in an appartement with sea view and a fantastic sweet landlady named Elena.

Hm, I remember my Mani stay as a pleasant one. Although I will say that some places in Greece are not too accepting to non-greeks. About the food: PLEASE be careful about the street food. Gyros is a big one, but anything really can get contaminated when there is no care in preparing it. The rule of thumb with eating in fast food places, especially those that are not well known (such as McDonald's) is go where the majority goes. If the local people don't go to said place, it's probably a good idea to skip it. Honestly though, if you are visiting small villages or anything remote, I'd skip on fast food-y stuff entirely. Oh and of course don't drink the tap water, which applies to any place you're visiting

Oh and of course don't drink the tap water, which applies to any place you're visiting
Never had problems with tap water that locals drink too. But in the past we did meet the downside of plumbing in Greece a few times, because stupid tourist flushed toiletpaper where they ask to put it in a bin. 🗑️

Back to eggs and broodies. I still have two very committed broodies (Kraai and Katrientje) each sitting on 4 eggs (3 real and 1 fake). If a few hatch the chicks probably hatch on Thursday.

Never had problems with tap water that locals drink too. But in the past we did meet the downside of plumbing in Greece a few times, because stupid tourist flushed toiletpaper where they ask to put it in a bin. 🗑️

Back to eggs and broodies. I still have two very committed broodies (Kraai and Katrientje) each sitting on 4 eggs (3 real and 1 fake). If a few hatch the chicks probably hatch on Thursday.
You may have already said, but what breed is your broodies? So close to hatch day!

what breed is your broodies?
Katrientje is a bantam RIR. Kraai is a Dutch bantam. And the eggs are bantam Sulmtaler.

My flock with Katrientje in the middle. And Kraai on the right.
IMG_3643.jpeg

Really? Even I don't touch tap water when going to other parts of Greece (even if I'm visiting family). So glad they're sitting tight! Go girls!

Got done with cleaning the incubator and incubator stuff today, ugh feels really good it's over. Testing the motor (and thus, the auto turning) on Monday. Tomorrow is the first day of gathering the eggs, even though we're on day three of egg collection!

This doesn’t make sense to me. ❓

Admittedly, not the best syntax ever. Basically, tomorrow I'll be gathering the first round of eggs meant for incubation, even though they've been laying eggs that are getting incubated for three days. In other words (wow I really can't say it in a simple way), all eggs laid from the 26th, up until the 4th of April are going into the incubator. I'll just be gathering the first round tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom