The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
Wow, thanks for that wealth of info, as well as that link, WoDia! There are quite a few differences in the ways you and the other serama peeps seem to go about hatching serama eggs. As you already know, the Tsouloufates have priority over any broody, simply because they free range, and after seeing what a difference it makes in a bird's maturity and physical health, I really need birds like that in my free range flock. My incubator has automatic egg turners (I also bought quail egg turners for the serama, knowing their eggs would be super small), but I can test one of the (still) infertile serama eggs to see how vertical I can get them to be. Another thing I read, it says that it might be better to not turn the eggs for the first 10 days? It says that this mostly applies to shipped eggs, but they also mention that it might be beneficial for all eggs. One more question, because I might've missed it, what's the ideal humidity range? I know I might have to assist an egg, I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, I'm glad to have yall giving such helpful advice. I've already read a fair bit on assist hatching for this reason. Does the small number of eggs per hatch make it easier to control humidity and temperature?
I keep humidity at 45-50% until lockdown, then I up the % to 65, but I’ve also found that 70% doesn’t hurt them. I check air cells on lockdown day, add a little more water and just watch the numbers close to keep it from fluctuating too much. Air vents are wide open by then. For my incubators (as long as humidity stays within this range) everything goes smooth. Well, the eggs do well but this Serama Mama is parked next to the incubators WATCHING 👀 every pip! It’s not an exact science (unfortunately 😕), especially with Serama eggs. So many different factors to consider. For me, small numbers of eggs are definitely more manageable. I can focus on a few eggs rather than make myself crazy worrying over what could go awry with a large number. But, that’s me… the worrier. As far as letting the eggs sit before I begin turning: I wait 4 days. Yes, a smaller number of eggs has me adjusting the incubator temperature a little higher, but the incubator floor on mine reads at a lower temperature, especially with fewer embryos developing that won’t give off as much heat as more would. I don’t consider myself expert, Fluffy. But, I do understand what works well for me. ☺️ You’re getting SO MUCH terrific advice from everybody. It’s going to be exciting to see all of the teeny Serama chicks popping out of those eggs! ❤️

Believe me, you don't want it to happen!!! Especially not in your face, but also not on the counter where you happened to forget an egg behind something else...

:sick

Oh, I know! I only threw out smelly eggs and I smelled them everywhere for two days. DO NOT want that stuff anywhere near me or my countertop

Yes! Thank you all SOOO much for sharing your way of doing things, and suggestions of what I should do, you don't know how much it helps! It truly makes me so much more confident about hatching! THANK YOU :hugs
We are all really happy to know that the Greek portion of the Serama Army is growing in numbers! You’re very welcome! Well, perhaps you could nickname one Dia? 🥰😁

Oh, I know! I only threw out smelly eggs and I smelled them everywhere for two days. DO NOT want that stuff anywhere near me or my countertop
Duck eggs are the worst! We had no idea what that smell was coming from. Little did we know, it was the incubator! I don't have ducks but was hatching some eggs for the farmer across the road.

Back
Top Bottom