The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
My one broody chicken last year was not only crested, but she let me move her and her eggs to a large rabbit cage (from under a cedar tree on top of a rocky outcropping right next to the busy road). She did not complain or peck. She allows me to pet her. One of my favourite girls, even though I'm not that crazy about her colour (blue barred).

My one broody chicken last year was not only crested, but she let me move her and her eggs to a large rabbit cage (from under a cedar tree on top of a rocky outcropping right next to the busy road). She did not complain or peck. She allows me to pet her. One of my favourite girls, even though I'm not that crazy about her colour (blue barred).

I remember her! She's a cutie

OK peeps, I got a question for you! Especially for WoDia who has first hand experience. Should I do quail leg bands, or chicken leg bands? Since it's mainly for juveniles, I'm thinking quail. Also, should I do blue, pink, green, or orange?
Sorry Fluffy. I just saw this!!! I would consider the quail leg bands. I actually can use the same bands for my own quail and Seramas. I just replace them with larger ones as they grow out of chick-sized ones. My serama chicks really aren’t much larger than my Bobwhite chicks to begin with. As far as colors go, I use green a lot, but that’s just my preference. I bring blue, etc, in when I combine the chicks and need to remember which chick goes to which parent birds.

Sorry Fluffy. I just saw this!!! I would consider the quail leg bands. I actually can use the same bands for my own quail and Seramas. I just replace them with larger ones as they grow out of chick-sized ones. My serama chicks really aren’t much larger than my Bobwhite chicks to begin with. As far as colors go, I use green a lot, but that’s just my preference. I bring blue, etc, in when I combine the chicks and need to remember which chick goes to which parent birds.

Thank you for confirming! I'll see if I like the type of band o ordered when they get here. I chose blue, I think it was the best looking band. The green that was available was neon green, so not my fav type of green

I remember her! She is really pretty. I loved her color.

Some of my favorite hens (they were also more friendly) have been crested, but they were the ones that never went broody. :p
But the ones that were crested and went broody, they were nasty.

I remember her! She is really pretty. I loved her color.

Some of my favorite hens (they were also more friendly) have been crested, but they were the ones that never went broody. :p
But the ones that were crested and went broody, they were nasty.

I don't care if my broodies bite me when I put my hands near their babies or their nests. How else are they going to protect their babies? As shown by the fact that my favourite bird is a biter, I also don't let it make me like them any less

Last edited:
I don't care if my broodies bite me when I put my hands near their babies or their nests. How else are they going to protect their babies? As shown by the fact that my favourite bird is a biter, I also don't let it make me like them any less
I know! It’s a good sign when they do it. Those are normally the best mothers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom