The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
We have all that, add bear. Our two dogs, three cats, guy wires, several tall wind spinners, and solar and electric motion lights keep the riff-raff away. The farmer across the road jokes that every night she sees lights being set off across our property from one end to the other by one of the dogs or cats that it's almost like a light show. :)

Knock on wood the last 7 of 8 years, we've not lost anything to a predator. Our first year, there are a few sad stories of missing hens. :(
I remember years ago, when I was able to free range my flocks. The property is pasture/hayfields, surrounded by a lot of thick forest. The issues began when the chicken and turkey flocks got adventurous enough to begin exploring the forest. The wild turkey hens were of interest to my males, and they would follow them to the forest edge. Then, one day they followed, so I had to go retrieve my turkeys. And, of course the chickens were interested in seeing what was in the forest as well. I went on one too many search missions after that. In the beginning, predators didn’t seem to be a problem. Once they know where to find an easy meal, then they’re always a problem. I was forced to supervise their free range time, until we finally built much bigger runs. I’m sad that they can no longer be free to explore the property.

Quail are SO much fun to watch hatch! You have to keep glued to the incubator, which as we all know is NOT a hard thing to do, 🤣 because you can miss it, but once Bobwhites start the process of hatching, they don't stop! Really! They start at the pip hole and start cutting themselves out, no breaks, it's just non stop zipping. They hatch fast!! Quail folks refer it to watching popcorn pop. 🤣
You are soooo right about the popcorn! And, my tinier King quail zip even quicker. It’s almost like I’ll turn my back, turn back around to the incubator… and, there they are! I love it! ❤️ I’m really hoping for more females in both species this time around, but it rarely turns out that way. No matter, I always keep them all!

We have bobwhites native in our area and our neighbor just got some cotournix a few weeks ago. I can hear their little roo quite often 😁 ...like right now 😉 .
Wow, I wish they were still abundant here in the wild. That would be so amazing to hear wild ones calling back and forth with mine. 🥰

I remember years ago, when I was able to free range my flocks. The property is pasture/hayfields, surrounded by a lot of thick forest. The issues began when the chicken and turkey flocks got adventurous enough to begin exploring the forest. The wild turkey hens were of interest to my males, and they would follow them to the forest edge. Then, one day they followed, so I had to go retrieve my turkeys. And, of course the chickens were interested in seeing what was in the forest as well. I went on one too many search missions after that. In the beginning, predators didn’t seem to be a problem. Once they know where to find an easy meal, then they’re always a problem. I was forced to supervise their free range time, until we finally built much bigger runs. I’m sad that they can no longer be free to explore the property.
Very similar to here. And they do the same thing...wander through the forest down to the creek below.

There are paths made by them and the dogs, so hubby and I cleaned that whole way down to the creek. He took out a few dead trees and we sythed or cut all the bushes so there was no cover around for them nor the predators. Hubby hauled tons of dirt and gravel to make a 4-wheeler road they now use. He built a water pump station and we have a hose running from the creek up here to water our garden/trees in the summer. That makes noise down there which helps.

We've probably just been very lucky as if a predator is hungry enough, they won't mind coming out in the open to get a tasty treat, especially a fox. The two dogs though not only "patrol" around there, but sense it if any wild animal comes close as occasionally they go nuts.

Some day I might eat my words and wish we had done things differently, but for 7 years, this has been working without a loss, so we'll just keep hoping it stays that way. 🤞

Very similar to here. And they do the same thing...wander through the forest down to the creek below.

There are paths made by them and the dogs, so hubby and I cleaned that whole way down to the creek. He took out a few dead trees and we sythed or cut all the bushes so there was no cover around for them nor the predators. Hubby hauled tons of dirt and gravel to make a 4-wheeler road they now use. He built a water pump station and we have a hose running from the creek up here to water our garden/trees in the summer. That makes noise down there which helps.

We've probably just been very lucky as if a predator is hungry enough, they won't mind coming out in the open to get a tasty treat, especially a fox. The two dogs though not only "patrol" around there, but sense it if any wild animal comes close as occasionally they go nuts.

Some day I might eat my words and wish we had done things differently, but for 7 years, this has been working without a loss, so we'll just keep hoping it stays that way. 🤞
Debbie, you’re doing everything right. It works so well for you. You really could write an article on that… hint, hint. ☺️ It takes just one moment of me just thinking about one of my itty bitty Seramas outside unsupervised (and the Sky Witch— a huge red-tailed female hawk— swooping down for the teeny chicken), and I practically have an anxiety attack! Seriously. As it stands now, I take very small groups out for closely-supervised free range these days. If I can’t be right there close, I just don’t do it.

Oh, that's a long time without heat!

Candling is so fascinating though! It's just amazing how quickly they develop.
It still baffles the ind that it only takes 21 days (28 for ducklings) to go from an egg you an fry to a perfectly formed and independent little bird.

Takes us 9 months, and the baby is far from independent!

Back
Top Bottom