The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
You are soooo right about the popcorn! And, my tinier King quail zip even quicker. It’s almost like I’ll turn my back, turn back around to the incubator… and, there they are! I love it! ❤️ I’m really hoping for more females in both species this time around, but it rarely turns out that way. No matter, I always keep them all!
You kept Gambels too?! I just LOVE GambeIs, they are native to our deserts, up here we have the wild Montezuma. It's so cute how the Gambels will walk single file through the under brush, top knots bobbing, and to hear their signature call, ha haaaa ha, ha hahaha ha! When we lived in the desert they would come to our wild bird feeders every day to feed on the ground. :love I kept Bob's for a bit over 11 years, 1 pair of Gambels and a few Coturnix. Always wanted to try Button Quail. ❤ I miss keeping Quail.

You kept Gambels too?! I just LOVE GambeIs, they are native to our deserts, up here we have the wild Montezuma. It's so cute how the Gambels will walk single file through the under brush, top knots bobbing, and to hear their signature call, ha haaaa ha, ha hahaha ha! When we lived in the desert they would come to our wild bird feeders every day to feed on the ground. :love I kept Bob's for a bit over 11 years, 1 pair of Gambels and a few Coturnix. Always wanted to try Button Quail. ❤ I miss keeping Quail.
Yes, I love and have/had all 4 of the species you just mentioned! I do have some particular favorites. Toffee the 3rd is my current house-raised Bobwhite. His son/daughter (the 4th) is currently in the brooder! They’ve come from a long line going back to the original house Toffee. Very docile… even affectionate. I had a female button (Kiki) who was a darling and would scream for me to pick her up. She got louder and louder if I didn’t. She liked to lay her eggs in my hand or lap 🤣, I currently have her daughters and granddaughters. Sweet too, but not as calm as her. She used to snuggle against my neck under my hair. ❤️ I had a female Gambel, who I miss dearly. She was different… so sweet and dainty, and liked to sit on my lap. I have to mention that it’s so amazing to hear my Bobwhites calling. Beautiful. 🥰

That sounds so beautiful. Sometimes I wish our area was a little more wild (others, I'm glad my birds are safer than they would if my wish came true). Nature is just so beautiful. The wildest we get is having wild cormorants in our seas. Truly amazing birds

The American quail species are just so unique and gorgeous, IMO. Every single one of them

It still baffles the ind that it only takes 21 days (28 for ducklings) to go from an egg you an fry to a perfectly formed and independent little bird.
that's a long time without heat!

It's just amazing how quickly they develop.

Eggs in general are so cool. The whole evolution of eggs is just mind blowing to me. Especially in fowl, that considering how developed they are when they hatch, it's just amazing to think about

Yes, I love and have/had all 4 of the species you just mentioned! I do have some particular favorites. Toffee the 3rd is my current house-raised Bobwhite. His son/daughter (the 4th) is currently in the brooder! They’ve come from a long line going back to the original house Toffee. Very docile… even affectionate. I had a female button (Kiki) who was a darling and would scream for me to pick her up. She got louder and louder if I didn’t. She liked to lay her eggs in my hand or lap 🤣, I currently have her daughters and granddaughters. Sweet too, but not as calm as her. She used to snuggle against my neck under my hair. ❤️ I had a female Gambel, who I miss dearly. She was different… so sweet and dainty, and liked to sit on my lap. I have to mention that it’s so amazing to hear my Bobwhites calling. Beautiful. 🥰
Awww....your birds sound positively adorable! ❤ Quail are such a fun species to keep aren't they?! I had a few Bob's over the years that were lap sitters, the first ones to hatch in the incubator and and bonded immediately with me . The male Bobwhite call, especially from the Butler Bobwhite is extraordinary! Their loud screechy call just echoed throughout my valley, just melted my heart to hear them crowing all day. I miss that. :(
That sounds so beautiful. Sometimes I wish our area was a little more wild (others, I'm glad my birds are safer than they would if my wish came true). Nature is just so beautiful. The wildest we get is having wild cormorants in our seas. Truly amazing birds

The American quail species are just so unique and gorgeous, IMO. Every single one of them
Quail are dwindling here in the US from human encroachment, upset predator ratios, climate change, etc... It is TRULY amazing to see them in the wild, I wish you could see them. 💞

Speaking of wild Quail, my Bob's used to draw in the Montezuma Quail, once in a while I'd see these wild birds up near the Aviaries, so cool from an otherwise VERY discreet bird! ❤

Back
Top Bottom